Saturday, July 4

Freedom's Song

He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD. - Psalm 40:3

A very special song, one that I thought was saved for the morning, is carried in at evenings around my neighborhood. One lonely little mockingbird begins his melody just as the sun starts to set. Belting out a tune from the deep parts of his little heart - the noise fills the empty space of our cul-de-sac.

It is my understanding that mocking birds can be quite a nuisance, especially for folks who are trying to get some sleep. Our little neighborhood entertainer does not carry on all night, he just seems to pay his respects to the sun, as it slips down behind houses and trees. Then he flies off, to I don't know where, to nestle in for the night. (Or maybe he carries on all night in somebody else's neighborhood.)

Today is the 4th of July. And as we prepare for some good eating and the fireworks show, thoughts of what it really means to be free bounces around in my brain. The song of this feathery friend really paints a picture of liberty for me.

Mockingbirds caught singing at night (or when the sun begins to set) are generally males who have not yet found a mate. This song, so lovely, calls out into the night, with hopes of finding the one to share life with -one that will make this little bird's heart complete.

My freedom song sounds similar. The melody belts out loudest when it starts to get dark - even if I don't feel like singing. Uncertainty surrounds me through a slew of circumstances, and I long once again to feel the companionship of my Savior, to feel complete.

"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song." - Maya Angelou

Worship is what you and I were made to do. Love awaits us, in the shadows and breezes of life. And nothing is sweeter to the Father, than when our song is discovered in the dark.

1 comment:

Michele B said...

Thanks for this! I didn't know that about the males. But I have always loved the mockingbirds' songs, ESPECIALLY at night! As a preteen and teen I used to re-make my bedroom each summer and live out on the screened-in back porch at Mom and Dad's. Every year the mockingbird sang sweet comfort through the night as I dreamed of escaping my unhappy home life even farther than the back porch. Even now I could sleep like a baby all night to the song of a mockingbird. Now that you bring it to mind, I truly believe that Jesus was bringing me those sweet refrains to help me through some dark times. Just one of the countless ways He did so!!!