Monday, July 6

Purple Kiss

He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted. - Job 5:9

Some weeks back, my daughter Makayla and I were browsing around OSH. After wandering through the garden section, and passing through a rainbow of different paints, we headed to the checkout counter. To my surprise, there stood a pink plant.

"Oh Mommy, please can I get it? It would match my room perfectly."

Wanting to spruce her room up with a houseplant anyway (not that I was searching for a pink one) we decided to bring the unusual thing home. Resting on top of my old jewelry box, it has been very happy soaking in the sun right next to her window.

Yesterday, on Makayla's seventh birthday, the plant supplied us with an even bigger surprise. It was a kiss from my late Grandma Dottie, who died when Makayla was only a few months old.

"Makayla, come quick!"

Poking out from the leaves of this tiny plant were seven purple blossoms. Checking the plant each night as I closed her blinds, I could not recall seeing them there. They had not been there the day before. For some unexplainable reason, all seven decided to make an appearance on July 5.

Purple was my Grandma Dottie's favorite color.

I went on to explain to Makayla, how happy Grandma Dottie was when she was born - how she loved visiting with her and wished so much that she could have stayed longer.

"I think God sent those today Makayla, to say 'Happy Birthday' from Grandma Dottie."

Makayla's eyes grew wide, and a deep grin filled her face.

Joy rose within my heart too, as I felt a sweet connection of generations, supplied by the blossom of a simple houseplant.

No comments: