Tuesday, June 30

Milk Cap

O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. - Psalm 63:1

The cereal had just been poured when an unusual request filled the kitchen. "Mom, could you not buy the milk with the red cap anymore? It doesn't taste good. I like the one with the orange cap better."

I stood perplexed. How my son could tell the difference was a mystery to me. Both milks were whole, both homogenized with Vitamin D. After all, milk is milk, right? But not to Mikey. He has always been my little milk connoisseur.

I am the same way with bottled water. I drink water with my meals, and have been off soda for years. As a result, I can really tell the difference between various brands of water. A few weeks back, I was given a bottle of water made in Fiji. The decorated bottle was enough to sell me, but after sipping on that all afternoon, my Crystal Geyser has been a disappointment ever since.

Just as we can consume drink with our bodies, ideas and concepts get poured into our minds the same way. When we saturate ourselves with God's Word, our sensitivity to the poor quality around us goes up. Only His Living Water can hydrate us with the promise of hope, love and light. Too often, we settle for a "good book" or whatever is on TV - even a good conversation with a friend, instead of getting the cool clear nourishment that can only come from Him.

So what will it be for you today? Red, orange, green or blue? Spend some time in God's Word. Ask Him to create an unquenchable thirst for it.

You will never be disappointed.

No comments: