Wednesday, July 1

Alarm Clock

Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?" Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.
- Matthew 18:21, 22

I woke up this morning, feeling angry about something that didn't even happen. Dreams can be like that. The scenario was so real, I was clearly being taken advantage of. I fought to get my point of view heard - surely justice would prevail. But the more I spoke, the more my feelings were ignored, my own needs pushed aside.

As I stumbled out of bed (late because I forgot to set my alarm), I realized something. The dream, while it was not real, was linked to some very real hurts in my life. The characters of each role in this tormenting dream, were people who have hurt me in a similar way, while I have been awake.

There are hurts from our childhood that can run pretty deep. But nothing is too wounded for God. I can continue to huff and puff around today, letting unresolved hurt poison my attitude and sour my love for others. Or, I can talk to God about it, being honest about the repeated offense. And then I can choose to forgive - again.

The real alarm did go off this morning.

Dear friend, hanging on to hurts only hurts yourself. Is there somebody your heart needs to forgive today? I know, it isn't easy. But God can, and wants to help.

After all, He has forgiven you. The pain our sin caused is immeasurable . . . and God chose to love anyway.

Amazing.

No comments: