Friday, July 3

Scum

I delight greatly in the LORD; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels. - Isaiah 61:10

I married into a family that loves to play games. Board games, card games - you name it. It is how we spend our holidays, lazy summer afternoons, and pauses during a traffic stop. Munching on goodies and shooting the breeze - ah yes, this is family.

We were gathered around the table last night tackling a new card game called, "Scum." While it carries some characteristics of Rook, and mirrors that of War, this particular card game adds the element of rank to make things more interesting.

After the initial hand, each player is given a rank that represents how well they played. It goes from King, to Queen, to Prince . . . all the way down to Peasant, and lastly Scum.

For whatever reason, I could not get a good hand to save my life last night. Sitting in a pile of slop, I slumped in the scum position, feeling powerless to pull myself up. My hands did not sport anything higher than a nine (all night), and after a while, I didn't really feel the need to participate. After all, I was an outsider. I was scum.

But for the sake of being a good sport, I stuck it in. Counting the minutes until bedtime, I let my daughter sit on my lap and help me play my hands. She wanted so much to help me out of my pit. But it was no use.

Then it happened. Out of nowhere, my nephew, who sat in the position of Queen offered to switch spots with me. "No, that is okay. Thanks anyway," I said. But kindness and compassion continued. He insisted. He wanted to relieve me of this burden. He wanted me to re-enter the game. He was willing to sacrifice his right standing so that I could be lifted up.

Later on, I couldn't help but think about how Jesus did the same for me. There was a season in my life, when life was dealing me some pretty gruesome hands. I was powerless to break the cycle of pain. Every attempt I made at crawling out of this unending pit, only solidified my depravity.

But then, out of nowhere, Jesus stepped into the picture. Without hesitation, and with absolute insistence, He stepped in and took my place in the dirt. All of my sin and stain was placed on the King of Kings, and I, a lowly peasant girl was given a robe of righteousness.

I felt moved by my nephew's compassion yesterday . . . Christ's reflection through an ordinary game of cards.

No comments: