Sunday, December 2

Magenta

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is work within us.
~ Ephesians 3:20

Today I am thankful for warmth. Chilly winds have set it. As the colorful leaves go limp and submit to the season, I am reminded of how wonderfully warm it is inside. Bundled up in a blanket, sipping on hot chocolate reading a good book - what could be better?

There is a little tree that sits outside of my bedroom window. Small in stature, the fragile looking branches stand firm against the bitter wind. There is so much about this tree that reminds me of my Grandma. When she went to be with the Lord five years ago, that tree was planted in her memory.

There are oodles of things that I love about that tree - it's large shiny leaves, it's delicate and graceful posture. But my absolute favorite part, are the bright pink blossoms that arrive dead in the middle of winter.

The color of springtime boastfully rising toward the sun, when everything else around it shivers. My Grandma's life and legacy operated very much the same. She had endured some real heartache in her life, but she always managed to meditate on the silver lining. My Grandma Dottie spent her life helping other people, with a smile, some groceries - and every once in a while a break into the Hollywood scene.

Just like my beautiful Grandmother, that tree symbolizes what it means to walk by faith. As the storms of life blow in, often times unannounced, we feel naked and stripped to the bone. But underneath the surface lies a power that could come only from God. This power challenges any giant, it overcomes the worst of circumstances, bringing hearts of contention together into lasting unity. This power I speak of is love. God's sweet reminder for me, is packaged in foliage that has been carefully placed outside of my window.

Life is hard. Storms can be fierce and unyielding at times. But in spite of torrential rains and crisp winds . . . one strong and determined flower can break through the impossible, bringing the hope of spring.

I am thankful today for the warmth of color. It amazingly washes away all that seems gray and bleak. Jesus Christ holds a rainbow of promises for anyone willing to simply ask and believe.

This life giving power of hope, color and love is held in you and me. Be bold as magenta in the grays of life. Turn your face toward heaven, and be determined to bloom - regardless of what the winds bring.

No comments: