Friday, December 7

Wishes

If you remain in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given to you. ~ John 15:7

Today I am thankful for wishes. Although, I know that many times I will approach God with a sort of a step-and-fetch it mentality. Lord, I need this, and could you please help that person over there? I know that you are the God of the universe, you are fully capable . . . so would you please take care of these things for me? The thought of such makes me feel sick, but if I am going to be honest with myself I have to say, that at times, this is my approach.

In a strange sort of way this verse does sound almost genie-like to me. Does God really mean that He will give me whatever I wish? It is like rubbing some kind of a magic lamp? If I am given three wishes, can one of my wishes be an endless amount of more wishes? What are the rules anyway? And something else to consider . . . are there even rules?

God revealed the hidden treasure behind these words to me some time ago. I am filled with an abundance of joy - not because my every whim has been tended to - but because I am one with Him. To remain means to stay, or to continue. It means hang on to the companionship of Jesus Christ, with the embrace of the pain as well as the blessings.

Now the second part is crucial. "If my words abide in you . . . " Abide holds a similar meaning: to reside, await and endure. God's Word needs to be planted deep within my heart and mind. And in order for it's power to take root, it must stay.

We live in a world that trains us to think life is all about "me". My comfort, my desires and my dreams. This is where I think we can get into trouble tallying up a big wish list. God is not in the business of providing for our every whim. It is only when our desires and our wishes match His, that we see the fruit of what we long for.

Him in me - and I in Him. When we begin to understand the magnificence of God's presence, then all that surrounds us becomes secondary and needless.

Be determined to put Jesus Christ at the top of your wish list . . . and you will see every one of your dreams come true.

No comments: