Monday, December 3

Two Years

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. ~ Joshua 1:9

Today I am thankful for God's healing. I know . . . I talk about my illness and surgery an awful lot. Somebody even gave me some unwanted advice. "Stop living in the past!" But as much as I try, I just can't stop marveling at God's rescue.

Two years ago today I underwent major surgery. The doctors didn't know what was wrong with me. They didn't know if I would make it out. Only God knew . . . and He held me as close as ever during that dark and chilly season.

The older I get, the more I can see that in order for us to really be thankful for something, it has to be taken away for a while. Does this ring true for anyone? Sometimes we start taking a person or a relationship for granted, and when it takes a turn for the worst, we long to have it back. Nostalgia can carry us back, leaving an ache of what once was. Health is a biggie. You just don't know how great it is to move through a regular day until you are too weak to move at all.

I do tend to look back quite often, I must admit. But I don't glance in the direction of yesterday so that I can mope around about all of the twists and turns, nor am I looking to sport any kind of "poor me" trophy. Through God's eyes, I am able to appreciate the triumph of that storm. There is something so wonderfully intimate about that season - it was just me and God fighting things through. His presence was so strong and unmistakable.

I want to apologize if I am boring you to death with my hospital stories. Amidst all of the details, I hope that you can discern the beauty . . . through the darkness there was the most incredible sparkle. It embodies a voice that whispered, "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."

Wherever I go . . . He was even with me as I fought for my next breath - two terrible years ago.

A never-ending flow of thankfulness pours from my heart. I will never stop singing His praise.

2 comments:

Kim said...

My Shero,
You go girl! I totally understand looking back and being in awe of God's work. It was a hard time, but God brought you though it all. It just shows He is bigger than everything. I look back at things with Jacob and just give God all the glory. To me when you share this it is all about giving God the praise that is all His. Thank you so much for sharing!
Love you,
Your Shero

Michele B said...

Joanne, you don't know how much the story of your illness and recovery follows me around. To this day I so often reflect on the piece you wrote for the women's newsletter about that time. It made a huge impact on me. On my worst days with the fibromyalgia I think of you and God walking those hospital hallways in the sweet intimacy you described, and it helps get me though. 'Cause He's my God, too! And He is awesome. Just awesome!