Saturday, November 17

Championship

Today was a big day for two of my soccer boys. I speak of Mikey and his position on The Dominators (although I have no clue what position he plays) . . . and his dear ol' dad Mark who happens to be their coach.

The soccer season is really over for most folks - that is unless you make it to the jamboree. Our team has done really well this year. We only suffered one loss all season. I am so proud of those kids. They really gave it the best they had every single game.

Let me give you a little bit more detail as to why today's game was so big. At 2pm on the nose, we faced our arch rivals . . . which also happens to be the only team we lost to this season. There is a little bit of history that lends to the competitive spirit we have with this particular team. Without going into too much detail, I will say that today's game (in Mark's eyes) had potential to really make or break our whole season.

Mark has been so good with the kids. Coaching kids in sports is really his niche - his ministry. While he is very competitive by nature, he never yells at the kids or makes them feel bad about making a mistake. He sends them out with words of encouragement, always trying to build them up. But the way he paced that painted on the grass line today, you would have though he was coaching the Dallas Cowboys or something. The pressure was on. With white knuckles and probably some pretty big butterflies in his stomach, my husband carried the pressure with grace.

Close to half time, our team scored the first goal. You should have heard the shrieking . . . we were so excited. But moments later I saw Mark shake his head, and drop his shoulders. Come to find out, there was some kind of a penalty involved so they didn't count the goal. Arugh! I watched Mark. He didn't get upset, even though it was a very upsetting call. He chose to keep his cool and stay focused.

Into the second half, the other team scored a goal on us. The turn of events was torture. One of the mom's sitting next to me had to turn around, she just couldn't watch. It was the kind of game that was impossible to sit down through.

Then in happened. The ball was passed to Chandler, and then on to Fernando - and we scored! I saw my husband practically jump out of his skin. I can't remember being that excited over a goal that was not kicked by my own kid.

I'm very happy to report that the game ended in a tie. This was a perfect ending to a great game. This way neither team had to feel bad. I appreciated God's answer to my prayer. We have one more game tomorrow morning, and if we win, then our Dominators will take first place.

I watched something miraculous take place during this season. While this other team had become our enemies through a circumstance or two, I saw Mark turn the other cheek and give them the benefit of the doubt. There was a friendliness out there on that field today - a recognition of different personalities which brought team spirit together, right on to center field.

A coach that seemed really obnoxious before, became simply a great guy who was just really competitive. I began to appreciate the fact that God made him that way - and that God was rooting just as much for their team as he was for ours.

The soccer field carries with it many of life's valuable lessons. Winning really isn't everything. It would have seemed nice to get back at our so called enemies. But I have come to find that it is strength of character and team spirit that carries the only true and lasting trophy.

1 comment:

Gena said...

With your personal experience with this weekend's soccer tournaments, I'm sure you'll understand why I won't be there tomorrow. My thoughts and prayers will be with you all, though.
Love, Gena