Sunday, November 11

Squirrel

Nestled up against the hills of Morgan Hill, my Mom's new house is bursting with nature. From hundred year old trees to the sweetest little brook of water - it makes a haven for any nature lover. For somebody who connects with God through nature, I find it most enjoyable.

We decided to take the dogs for a walk this morning. The air smelled so fresh after last night's rain. Sunlight flickered off of moist leaves. Cold crisp wind blew through each branch, making its way through the holes in my sweater. Fall weather is finally here, and my senses rejoice.

As my Mom was talking with her "creek friends" for a bit, the kids took Ginger up and down the bank for a trek. Picking up sticks and large sycamore leaves, they ran and giggled as free as the wind.

I stole a few moments alone down by the rushing water. Covered by a parade of trees, this creek was so quiet and majestic. Over rocks and under branches . . . the water seemed to take on a life of its own. Each drop descended seemingly with a destination. I wondered - where was it going in such a hurry?

It reminded me of a section of the book I am reading. There is a passage about a small body of water descending and being poured out. And all the while, the water is full of glee! It is happy to be used of the Lord in this way. What a wonderful lesson.

Back to this morning . . . just as I was enjoying a few quiet moments with the Lord, I was startled by a passer-byer. Timid in demeanor, brown from head to toe - a furry tailed tree squirrel scampered up. Choosing to freeze and even hold my breath, I hoped he would inch closer.

He took a couple of steps, then twitched his tail. His movements were quick and graceful. He took no notice of the funny looking blond tree that was close by. I sure am glad he didn't decide to give me a climb.

The squirrel rushed on past me, inspecting every branch as he went. He ascended all the way to the top of a tree, only to jump on another. This little guy had no fear of heights. I'm sure the view up there was spectacular. He could have very easily lost his footing and descended hundreds of feet to his death. But the thought didn't even seem to cross his little mind. Like they say, ignorance is bliss.

So much about God's creation fascinates me. I marvel at the fact that I shared space with a squirrel during this morning's walk. Many people might think that it was no big deal, but I wouldn't agree. An unscheduled appointment with a brown tree squirrel is definitely something to write home about.

What I loved about this particular squirrel, is that he knew where he was going. This guy was on a mission. Nothing was going to stop him, no cold gust of wind or dog in the distance - no funny looking blond tree, nothing. He moved carefully but quickly, doing what a squirrel does best.

I did not see this squirrel looking confused about what being a squirrel is supposed to look like. He was not wringing his little feet in despair over which tree to climb next. In his natural habitat, he felt very comfortable just being.

So much of what God is teaching me lately has to do with simplicity and just being. It isn't so much about what I am doing as it is about who I am being. What does my walk look like? Am I wringing my little hands with anxiety and fear, or do I grab onto the next branch without a care in the world?

I know the answer to this for myself, and I pray that God will make me so much more like my furry little friend . . . ready to climb to the next height - free.

No comments: