Friday, November 16

My Bad

There is a popular phrase of slang that keeps making it's way to my ears lately. Without having any teenagers (well at least not yet anyway), I am not really able to keep up with the coolest lingo - or should I say the fattest phrase (I'm sure I have that spelled wrong).

"It's my bad." I hear it here and I hear it there. From what I gather, this three word sentence means something like . . . I goofed, it's my fault, I royally messed things up . . . with a little bit of ownership tacked on. Now I may have this all wrong, and if so, feel free to correct me. Yes, on my own blog - you can send a dis in my direction. Like God's good Word says . . . Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses. ~ Proverbs 27:6

The thing that got me on to this idea of "my bad" was a movie we just came from. With Mark still on vacation, and the kids all home we decided to head to the box office this afternoon. We have seen three movies in two weeks, due to Mark's vacation and our trip to see my Mom. The other two films we sat through were very enjoyable. But I have to tell you that this last one was a real stinker - and truth be told, it was "somebody's bad".

I could understand where the writers were trying to come from, but there was just something so forced about things. It was like they were trying too hard or something. The acting was bad, the plot was terrible and I left the theater feeling anything but good. I can appreciate the idea behind things, I guess. But this movie was a real disappointment.

As we left the theater, I asked the kids what they thought about the past hour and a half of our lives. All three of them said that it was good and that they liked it. I cringed. "How could they have enjoyed such garbage?" I wondered. Weren't they there too, while my stomach was turning and my eyes were rolling?

Then in dawned one me. Yes, they were there too, but they saw things through the eyes of a child. My precious kids weren't wearing the critical pair of spectacles that I had one. They were not concerned with the inconsistency of the story, the horrible wardrobe and grimacing characters. They simply saw entertainment at it's finest.

I felt a real check in my spirit. Attitude makes a really big impact on what we see. Maybe this movie simply didn't appeal to my personality, or my age, or my intellect, or my emotions . . . you get the picture. But it did minister to my family which is what our day out together was about in the first place. Why do I have to keep being reminded that it's not about me?

While I would not choose to sit through that flick again, I am choosing to send my blessing on every person behind the making of this film. I'm sure that they poured their whole hearts into it. Millions of dollars were spent, hundreds of people hired for the sake of one person's dream.

Who am I to squash something like that? If nothing else, I will remember the effort . . . and more important than that the lesson about attitude that came from God's patient hand.

I am choosing not to disclose the name of this picture, to keep from spreading my own stink. Anything less would shamefully be something called . . . my bad.

No comments: