Sunday, November 18

Victory

It has been a victorious day. The Dominators won today's game, which means we take first place!! This is big news in the Reese home.

I wrestled back and forth last night about whether or not I should be at Michael's game this morning. It was either church, or Michael's game. With a meeting scheduled for second service, I opted to go to first and miss Mikey's game.

The whole thing felt all wrong. I've been trying to think of ways to connect with Michael, as he his going through a phase where he doesn't want to be seen with me - I embarrass him. Yes, he is only eight.

It was a quarter to nine . . . okay, honestly it was about two minutes to nine as I drove towards the church. I was dressed in my Sunday best, driving only half of my family to the morning's service. Makayla and Matthew proceeded to head to their classes, and all alone, I took my place in the pew. (I know we don't have pews, but it sounded good.)

My focus went from the empty seat beside me, on to the goodness of our God. Tuning everything out, I could hear God remind me of priorities . . . God, family - then ministry. When the last worship song ended, I knew that I had to go. I just couldn't bear to miss Michael's championship game.

Although I think it is important to put church before other activities, this was no regular Sunday morning. Today it was more about whether or not I would put my own convenience aside for the sake of my son. I never want my children to think that ministry is more important to me than they are. This was God's way of giving me the chance to put feet to my convictions.

When I arrived at the soccer field they were really running behind. Ironic as it is, I never even got to see my big guy play. I did decide to keep my meeting commitment, so at 10:30 had to head on back to the church. I sent a very discreet wave in his direction, letting him know that he was tops in my heart. Even though I didn't get to stay for the whole thing, I am hoping my appearance meant something.

I think a lot of times winning doesn't look the way we expect it to. If I had been stuck in a legalistic rut, I would have felt very guilty about stepping away from the church service this morning. But interestingly enough, God had church prepared for me on the soccer field.

Some folks might argue that God would never call somebody out of church for the day. But voice I heard - the God I know, and love, and serve . . . values relationships above all.

No comments: