Monday, November 12

Jump

While we visited with my Mom this weekend, I got a jump on some of my Christmas shopping. I know, Thanksgiving hasn't even arrived yet - but my Mom had some coupons and we had the time!

Getting the bulk of my shopping done in a one stop shop was intoxicating. I am a practical kind of gal, and the less I have to drag my kids through department stores, the better. After collecting our goodies, we even went as far as to wrap them. My Mom had a tub of wrapping paper and tags, so we threw on a movie and went to work.

Amazingly I have everybody bought for except for my Mom, the kids and a few gift cards I will need to pick up. How jolly is that?

I like the idea of having my shopping done by December 1. I have a couple of friends who live up to this standard, and I like to follow their example. When I am able to get the shopping and most of the wrapping all taken care of, then I find that I can spend more time enjoying the season instead of scrambling for what to buy.

Christmas is my absolute favorite time of the year. I love the music, the lights, the cookies, all of the kooky traditions - and of course the adoration of that blessed Baby in a manger. There is something so cozy about hot chocolate near the fire and the glow of the Christmas tree lights. Even our artificial tree is pretty good at pulling the magic off. I'm still surprised I was able to talk Mark into that one.

But above the parades and snowmen (or pictures of snowmen), the deepest part of my holiday cheer has been born of pain. The year I was sick has brought a new tenderness to the season for me . . . I take nothing for granted anymore. That year, I remember wishing I could participate in the holiday cheer. But all I had the strength to do was to fight for my life.

There are other twinges of sadness that draws the Lord especially near during the holidays. My Grandma's passage into heaven is one of them. She was always the one who enjoyed Christmas presents the most, even more so that the kids. My Grandma didn't have much, and she was always so grateful for every package she tore through.

Most people have had to endure something painful in their lives. It could have been the death of a loved one, an illness or disability. While Christmas brings cheer to some, it can be devastatingly painful for others. For some folks a bare tree will represent an unexpected layoff. An empty dinner table can mirror harsh words or unresolved conflict. The sting of loneliness increases during this time of the year. Lights and caroling can even at times seem to mock one's pain.

This Christmas, I challenge you to pray for those who find Christmas unbearable. Remember, there is nothing different between you and that hurting person except for a circumstance or two. I'm sure that at one time they probably enjoyed the anticipation of Santa and those reindeer. But one wrong choice, or the devastating blow of tragedy stole the magic.

The Bible instructs us to come along side of the orphans and widows, and to take special care of those who have been forgotten. As you deck the halls this year, take notice of the people around you who are hurting.

Offer to pray for folks - tell them all about the "Light of the World" in that sweet Baby born to Mary . . . and spread a little Christmas cheer.

No comments: