Saturday, October 27

Old Friend

She's a worn out gal alright. With leathered skin, and pieces missing - what's not to love? There is not really much to see on the outside, in fact she would probably be ignored by most passer-byers. But to me, she is a treasure above all treasures. My very best friend in the whole wide world - my NIV Life Application Study Bible.

I decided to re-acquaint myself with her last night. She was replaced see, with a newer make and model some months ago. Mark bought me John Maxwell's Leadership Bible. This particular piece of art is displayed in the New King James version, sporting tons of leadership principles with every precept. It really is a must read for anybody who is called into leadership.

Maxwell's new design is flawless, fresh and innovative. It seemed like it was time to make the switch, for I was approaching a new season, which called for new companionship. So as a result, my old friend was set aside.

There was something so welcoming about picking her up again last night. The pages are starting to separate from the binding. Tabs are torn off, and every single page is marked with notes and highlights. Water marks, kid's drawings . . . you would think that I didn't even try and take care of her, but the truth is I really did. The wear and tear is proof that she has traveled many miles by my side.

I found myself missing that season in my life, when the Word of God seemed so fresh and alive. I was so hungry . . . meditating, memorizing - applying God's wonderful truths. But these days, I find myself caught in a terrible trap. I read my Bible, looking for leadership principles more than a fresh Word from Him. God please forgive me.

I've decided to put the polished version down for a while to re-acquaint myself again with my first Love. I'm thinking about taking her down to the Bible book store for repair. We have a lot of miles still to tread together, and I want her in tip top shape for the journey.

Question for you. What do you pick up God's Word for? Are you looking for answers to a particular question? Maybe you seek wisdom or solace. God will meet you in which ever way you show up. But don't cheat yourself of the intimacy His Word initiates.

Remember, relationship should always come before agenda. God is not just some quick fix or the latest pick me up. He is ever present through precious His Word . . .

wanting to be that comfortable worn out friend that we spend hours shooting the breeze with.

No comments: