Tuesday, October 23

Seatbelt

I had a panic feeling rush through my body this morning on the way to work. It wasn't because I came close to being in a car accident. It had nothing to do with a dog running out in front of my car, or the screeching of brakes. The rush of adrenaline was my conscience screaming as the barricade came into view.

There were dozens of them - police officers blocking the street next to Walnut school. Under my breath I heard myself mutter, "I don't have time for this!"

I wondered what they were stopping cars for - drunk drivers at 8:30am on a Tuesday morning? That would be strange, but I felt pretty certain that I would pass with flying colors. Then my eyes scanned the sign up ahead . . . SEAT BELT ENFORCEMENT.

My heart jumped, my head felt cold and my legs shaky. I panicked. Forgetting to get Makayla's booster seat out of Mark's truck the night before meant that we were traveling illegally. I have to admit, I have been lazy about transferring that bulky thing back and forth. And this morning, it was payment time.

My eyes darted for the closest exit, and I took it. One right turn down the beaten path, and I managed to escape. Boy I felt guilty. I may not have received a verbal reprimand, or a ticket - but I felt terrible about not making sure my baby girl was securely fastened.

How many other things in my life are just like this? I will gloss over some set of rules, hoping that somehow I won't get caught. Who do I really think I am fooling, when God can discern every thought? Have I simply been lazy about securing my relationship with Him? Where have I been heading in such a hurry, that I don't even know what's missing?

Here is a better one . . . has your Bible become too bulky to lug around lately? Does it seem like too much work to make sure His Word is heeded?

God taught me today through that row of cops, about how easy it can be to get used to traveling illegally - without even recognizing it anymore. Sometimes when our faith becomes sort of hum drum, God will use a barricade of crisis or pain to get our attention. In this moment, we have a choice. We can either choose to slink down a side street, or we can face the music.

What will you do? I don't know about you, but I am tired of barely skating by in my Christian walk. I want to travel in righteousness, ready at a moment's notice for the Spirit's spot check.

It's time for me to buckle up. The battle is very real, and God's is searching for soldiers . . . warriors who are pure and ready to intercede.

1 comment:

Michele B said...

Boy can I relate to that story. What a great reminder to "always be ready." I got a little weak in the knees just reading this :-(