Monday, October 22

Colic

My first born son turned eleven today. It is just so hard to believe . . . it seems like just yesterday when he entered the world. Mark and I had no idea what bringing a new baby home would really mean.

Oh sure, we had every baby thing imaginable, with two baby showers and a nursery decorated from top to bottom - surely we were ready to be parents. I had read every pregnancy book I could get my hands on. I had heeded the advice of every mother and grandmother who noticed my bubble like condition. I was ready, really - no sweat.

Matthew decided to arrive four days late, which to an expectant mother meant an eternity. With every cramp, every twinge and gas bubble - I was hoping that it was going to be time. But let me tell you, when the time came there was no mistaking it. I had never experienced my stomach and back caught in a vise before. Boy, what a feelin'.

Now I won't go into the details of the delivery . . . for the sake of time. But I will tell you that when that little lizard-like creature popped out, Mark and I were never the same again. I can still remember the announcement, "It's a boy!" That little creep grabbed the suck thing right out of the doctor's hand after he was delivered. Leader, this boy is definitely a leader - trying to take charge at his own birth. And he has been trying to run the show ever since.

I think back to those first few weeks of being a mother. Mark and I had no idea what we were doing, it is a miracle the boy is still alive. No magazine article or Lamaze class could prepare us for the bundle they actually let us take home from the hospital.

Matthew was a screamer. He cried the first six months of his life. Talk about building us in character . . . I think I remember being the one with the stomach ache - forget the baby. Every ounce of selfishness left in me was squeezed out by our new little package. Whether I felt like it or not - he needed to be fed, diapered, bathed and put to sleep - and this was a continuous thing. Parenting really is a 24 hour job. And I'll tell you, that shift between 2 and 4am was a tough one.

It has been so neat to see the unique ways God has gifted our born leader. He is very intelligent, funny as anything, creative, charming, compassionate and introspective. I couldn't be prouder.

Who would have thought that eleven years later, he would be participating in a Fall Ball game against the Jet Hawks? They may have lost the game tonight, but seeing my baby boy up to bat was worth it all.

Bringing that boy home from the hospital all those years ago, began the best season of my life. I love being a mommy. I thank God every day for my Matthew.

No comments: