Wednesday, October 31

Traditions

I've asked my son Matthew what I should blog about today. His eyes lit up, and he just left the room to gather some material for my post. I'm waiting . . . I wonder if he forgot. I get pretty easily distracted myself.

He just came back and said that he was looking for a Halloween folder we have had for years. It was full of articles and information about the origin of this holiday. I remember getting it from somebody who was really opposed to participating in Halloween. In light of the whole skeletons, Jack-O-Lanterns and open graves - I guess it really does present a pretty dark picture.

You could say that our family participates, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that we celebrate. You won't find a string of fake cobwebs lining our front porch - and I never have gotten my kids into the habit of carving pumpkins. The history of how that whole thing began is just not something I want to pass along to them.

I haven't ever been one to go extreme one way or another. Like I mentioned, I know some Christians who lock all of the doors and turn out the lights, dreading Halloween. While others let their kids dress up in the waking dead. I am really no one to judge either point of view. Our family sits right in the middle somewhere. We let our kids trick-or-treat, but they are not allowed to wear anything gory or scary. We don't decorate for Halloween, but the kids are allowed to participate in the Harvest Fest and in Steph's Halloween party.

Just like with Halloween, I don't really like to put much of the world's emphasis on any holiday. For Christmas - sure, we played Santa Clause when the kids were really little, and Makayla still believes. But I have never really praised the ol' guy too much, always trying to bring it back to the real reason for the season. The birth of our Saviour - Jesus Christ.

Growing up, we never went to church, so in our house - Santa was the man! I remember being so disappointed when I found out that he wasn't real. It took the magic out of everything. But today that pain has made Christmas so sweet. Jesus is no Santa Claus!

Family traditions can be a really special way to create memories and build bonds. There is something so great about the familiar and predictable. I don't think it matters too much what you do and don't do - for God does not lean on the legalistic side of anything. It is important to honor Christ in everything that we do, whether we are decking the halls or passing out candy.

This Halloween, I hope with every candle-lit pumkpin and masked man - you will remember the victory we have over darkness . . .

- in the King of Christmastime.

No comments: