Monday, October 29

Favorites

Pastor Dave is taking us through the book of James, and let me tell you - it's been a doozy. In your face sin exposing truth, revealing the heart of what's really going on inside. These past few weeks, I have been challenged to put more feet to my faith.

This past Sunday, his message nudged me in a direction that the Lord was already leading me. Anytime God requires obedience from me, courage must be present. God is always taking me one more step outside of my comfort zone.

This particular step is along the line of favoritism. I have to admit, I have my own secret list going and a lot of times don't even know it. But like always, God has provided the most amazing petri dish for this lesson to take root. Who would have guessed that my office would become such a wonderful learning opportunity?

As I have taken on the role of receptionist at the church, I have found a big part of my job is interacting with the public. Now this is not the high class snobby type . . . but instead the people who are nearest and dearest to God's heart - those who are hurting and in desperate need.

As I work to create reports, update information in the database and make copies - God has been bringing me the most wonderful interruptions. One ring at the doorbell, and I know that my next assignment has arrived.

People of all walks of life find their way to our church office. Some have lost their jobs, while others are very ill and in terrible pain. Some folks are simply in a transition, trying to get back on their feet. The represent the young, the old, the put together looking and those who are down and out. Every person has a story, every soul has the need for Jesus.

Following protocol, I began caring for their needs as they would arrive. A gas voucher here, a bag full of groceries there. Until . . . God tapped me on the shoulder. He reminded me the importance of not playing favorites. He reminded me about how much he loves every person who walks through our doors. So I prayed that God would allow me to see each person as He does.

My prayers have been answered. I don't consider their arrivals interruptions anymore - instead I welcome God's divine appointments. Every person who came today was given my full attention. I practiced eye contact, and asked questions with genuine concern. I offered to pray with each person, and every one of them was so grateful for the covering.

Strangely, this was a big step for me. It may sound silly . . . why would I feel nervous about praying at a church, as a representative of Christ? I have been praying out loud for several years, on several different occasions. God has always been faithful to give me the courage and the words. But this felt different. With this kind of a ministry, I get the chance to touch the outside world.

I spent almost a half an hour talking with one woman today. She had just moved to Turlock a month ago. She was a beautiful spirit-filled woman who was looking to connect. I invited her to join my Small Group on Wednesday nights. She delightfully accepted . . . and I look forward to getting better acquainted.

So my question for you today is this. Who do you find yourself making a pre-judgement of? Do you play favorites? Do you realize how much this grieves God's heart? Our own filters can sometimes hinder the work of the Holy Spirit. Jesus was never concerned about the outward appearance. He always looked at the heart.

My Grandma Dottie was somebody who set a great example of this. She never held a lofty ministry title in all of her life - she simply saw people with God's eyes . . .

and she loved them with all that she had.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Hi My Shero,
God sure knew what he was doing placing you at my old place. You are for sure what needed to be there. Your heart is just so sweet & loving. Hearing your brief story brought back memories for me. I am so happy to hear how you handle it all. God is definitely using you. I miss you!
Love,
your shero