Sunday, September 2

Winning Team

Today was wonderfully relaxing - we went to Mike and Jan's for the afternoon. They will often times invite the family over on a holiday weekend just like this one. With every visit, we are treated like royalty . . . fed like kings and queens, made to feel comfortable and taken care of down to the last detail. Whether it's fruit snacks out of the pantry, or an extra chair from the closet - my mother and father-in law have hospitality perfected.

Like I mentioned, when we get together - we eat. It starts with irresistible munchies as soon as we walk through the door. Now this is no cheese and crackers I'm talking about. Janice makes the most incredible artichoke dip. She will have salsa sprinkled with cheese, olives, pickles, peppers . . . you name it. It's easy to fill up during this appetizing jubilee. Often times I do, but somehow there is always room for the main course a couple of hours later.

Barbecue chicken and tri-tip cooked to perfection lined the kitchen counter. Uncle Larry's tantalizing potatoes, salad with all the fixings, watermelon, cantaloupe, fresh pineapple and french bread - all in a row. Like I said - a meal fit for a king. And then, an hour or so later, we had our choice of top of the line desserts. Today, we had peach cobbler and berry pie a la mode. It was incredible.

When Mark's family gets together, the men always pull a card table out for a friendly game of Rook. Learning how to play Rook was practically a prerequisite to marrying into the family. Mark has always been a gamer - he just loves play with folks who are as competitive as he is. His family fits the bill.

While the women sit and have coffee - the men spend hours playing Rook. This is normally a very male dominated game, but lately, I have been able to break in as a substitute. If somebody has to leave - I get my chance. I just love being a part of the team . . . even with all of the teasing. (I've learned through the years that the teasing means I am loved.)

The hope of getting the right hand of cards, and the challenge of knowing how to play them . . . it really gets my juices flowing. Being a little bit competitive myself (an attribute I picked up at the altar), I love getting in there and winning a hand or two.

Today, Ken (Mark's uncle) and I were on the winning team, which made it great fun. I high fived my new partner on the way out the door. We were ruthless, cunning, wise and well, the truth is, more times than not - we were just lucky. But what's the use of winning without being able to gloat a little?

Aside from being filled to the gills this evening with the top of the line cuisine, I am also able to enjoy the sweet smell of victory.

This Labor Day weekend, I felt God's love embrace me with the simple pleasure of family - through the hospitality of a man who happened to be on the losing team.

No comments: