Saturday, September 1

Back to Work

About mid-July, I decided that I needed to put my guitar down for a while. Hours of practicing at a time, caused a sharp pain in my left wrist. Being a retired ballet dancer, I knew that "pushing past the pain" was a part of the strengthening process. Muscles are being built, tendons expand, flexibility increased. But just like in my toe twinkling years, I could tell the difference between sore muscles and an injury.

It was really hard to put my new friend down at first. I had been used to a routine, and I longed to sit and strum. But as life went on, the busyness has very easily cut into our "quality time". It's been a good month and a half, my wrist is all healed up - and frankly, it's time to get back to work.

It has been "time" for about three weeks. I have tried to pick Daisey up, strumming a few familiar melodies, remembering the love affair that began in January. I love everything about my guitar, the smell of the wood and lacquer, the clear sound of her strings . . . the way she feels in my arms (okay, this is getting a little bit on the weird side) . . . don't worry, I haven't tried to kiss her or anything.

So what is keeping me from getting back to work? Is it laziness? Boredom? Stubbornness? Maybe all of the above. In order for me to play music, I need to spend time with Daisey. Practice requires discipline, stamina, the acceptance of pain, and the possibility of failure. And, an important one I'd like to add . . . knowing when it's time to quit.

Sometimes relationships (with someone other than a musical instrument) can seem just as insurmountable. You like spending time with somebody, but it almost seems like more work than it's worth. Building that relationship is uncomfortable, it requires a conscious effort on your part. Then there is always that possibility of rejection. Pain couples deep feelings of affection, and sometimes it seems like throwing in the towel would be best.

God brings people into our lives for a reason. Every relationship opportunity can be a divine appointment - God wants to tune your strings to the melody of His heart. He will often times use the difficult people to smooth away our rough edges and to get to the heart of what love really means.

So what about you? Will you throw in the towel, or will you give God the chance to build and strengthen you in maturity? Who is God wanting you to love? Yes, the pursuit is risky . . . there are really no guarantees.

But the music . . . God has got the most incredible piece of music that He wants you to play through you. And the relationships (the instruments) God uses, just might be what gets you where you long to be.

I declare this day - the first of September, a day to get back to work.

Won't you join me?

No comments: