Friday, September 7

Awestruck

There have been times in my life when I've felt the need to be still and quiet. In these places, I will find myself in unspeakable awe of the glory and majesty of God. This awareness will come through wrenching pain on some days, and then on others it arrives in a neatly decorated package of joy.

Today is one of those days. I sit to write, and I know that getting what's inside of my heart down on paper would be close to impossible. Floating around in my head are worlds colliding - and all I can do is sit still, wait and breathe. Healing, wholeness and grace reign in this magnificent pocket of time and space.

I've got a lot of things scheduled for today as my mind rests on a cloud. First off, I have to secure some plans for a meeting with my ladies next week. Then I am having lunch with dear friend. A bit later my Dad will be making a trip over for Grandparents Day. Then we have small group tonight, where I will get the opportunity to torture everyone with my rendition of worship.

Through the busyness, and all the while, I sit dumbfounded - in absolute wonder. God will usually get my attention in the most surprising ways. This time, I find no real words to describe my whereabouts.

I am too stunned to speak, too awestruck to compose a legible sentence. Just when I think my heart might explode from the excitement surrounding me, God decides to take me on another turn. The incredible descent begins, and before I know it I am upside down, screaming my head off with delight.

There will be no stories today about fire hydrants or cookie recipes. Oh yes, each one will be a part of my day - no doubt. But that is not what has gotten this girl's attention. Every neatly tucked folder of my life is being overturned by God's goodness and grace, and I can think of nothing else.

No wonder I struggle to find words today. How can one write about the intangible? For what has captured my heart today, doesn't have anything to do with what can be seen.

Only a heart could discern such infinite love.

No comments: