Thursday, August 30

Relationship

Life can sometimes seem lonely - even in a crowded room. We go from one conversation to the next, usually talking about surface kinds of stuff, when deep down inside we all desire to be known. And not just to be known . . . but to be loved.

God has blessed me with a wonderful husband, three great kids, extended family that I share a close bond with . . . friends, acquaintances . . . the list goes on. Even my dog Ginger is someone I enjoy interacting with throughout the day. My scratch on her ear triggers the wag of her tail. And that is truly communication at it's best.

When I'm sitting with my dog, there are no words needed. Words are a great vehicle for communication, but a lot of times they can stir the pot and scramble interpretation. Ginger and I? We enjoy a simple and natural exchange. I love her, and she loves me. We like spending time together. Isn't it true? The quietest moments can sometimes be the most connective.

Being married for thirteen years, I find a great amount of comfort in those times when Mark and can just sit and be quiet. Neither one of us are talkers really, so we never feel any need to fill in the "awkward" silence - because it's not awkward. With three kids, silence is bliss. Just enjoying the same space speaks volumes.

There is a level of comfort and familiarity when I am with Mark. He knows me (and all of the gobbledygook that makes up what's inside), and I know he is not going anywhere. There is an element of stability and freedom in that.

God is teaching me so much about love lately. I am learning that it is the opposite of fear, and that it can move mountains and change hearts. I'm also finding that love is not a gooey feeling - love is a choice. It is an uncompromising commitment to stay - in marriage, friendship, ministry . . . whether you are having a good or a bad day, and whether you feel like talking about it or not.

So how about you? Who do you feel comfortable just sharing space with? Is it your spouse, your child . . . what about God? How does communication work between the two of you? Are you quiet enough to listen to the Creator of all the Universe, or do you find yourself butting in when He is trying to speak?

I read a quote this morning from Oswald Chambers, and it nearly took my breath away.

"All that our Lord gives attention to in a person's life is that person's relationship with God."

God never takes into consideration how much money a person makes (or gives), or how much time a person volunteers to serve. He in not interested in how eloquent a person's speech or the countenance he or she carries. The truth is, there is really nothing "outward" God takes note of. He is concerned about what's going on inside. Relationship is what God is after.

I want to be known by God - I want to be loved by Him. And more than anything else, my heart longs to hear the silent certainty of . . . "well done."

No comments: