Monday, August 27

Sinner's Prayer

God just about blew my socks off a few minutes ago - and that is really saying a lot, considering the fact that I am not wearing any socks. Stay with me here . . .

Just the other day, the Harvest Crusade got me thinking about my family members, and my desire to see them all saved. My thoughts landed on Makayla, the only one of my children who had not "asked Jesus into her heart".

I reminisced about the boys, Matthew and Michael, and their early decision to follow Christ. Matthew was around four, and a prayer at home on his bed confirmed a decision he had made at church that night. Then Michael, also about four years old, decided as he was tucked into bed that it was time to ask God to come live inside.

So just the other day, I sent a silent prayer up to God, asking that my baby girl make the decision for herself too - without my pushing. I wondered, what if she waits until she is ten . . . sixteen . . . what if she decides this whole "faith" thing isn't for her? My prayer was surrendered, and it held a promise that I wouldn't intrude. I would just wait on God, and let it happen naturally - just like it did with the boys.

Well, as I was typing an email just a few minutes ago - Makayla and Michael were in the bathroom, just finishing up with their baths. Makayla, already dressed, was brushing her hair while Michael forced dry clothes onto a wet body (little boys don't dry off very well).

As usual, they were carrying on a conversation - their talking never stops. I was trying to drown out the noise so that I could concentrate on the email I was composing . . . until, I heard the sweetest words fall from Michael's mouth. It was as if every other noise was silenced. I could no longer hear the tap of the keyboard or the sound of water going down the drain. No, these words hushed all of heaven and earth. And I stood at attention.

"Do you believe that Jesus died on the cross?" Michael questioned.

The voice trailed down the hall, piercing my heart. I tiptoed toward the voices, stopping just before they could see me. I watched from the reflection in the mirror.

"Do you want Jesus to forgive you for your sins? Then you need to ask Him to."

Makayla promptly responded.

"Then you just ask Jesus to come into your heart."

I stood there, dumbfounded, as I watched my daughter pray the sinner's prayer while gazing into the mirror at herself. When she saw me watching, she got embarrassed, and hid her face in her hands.

I stepped into the bathroom, with tears pouring down. I took my little girl's face in my hands, and I said, "Do you know what you have just done? You have just made the best decision you will ever make . . . and your big brother helped you."

I turned to Michael, "Michael, do you have any idea what you have just done?"

He turned shyly and said, "What Mom?"

I told the two of them to stop, and take notice. I wanted them to remember this moment, and everything about it. I grabbed my camera, and took a few snapshots. Time seemed to stand still. Everything else looked the same - but holy moment, a wonderful exchange had just taken place amidst the wet towels and dirty clothes.

Folks, we serve an amazing God, who absolutely positively answers prayer. Lately, I have become more convinced than ever. TALK TO GOD, HE HEARS YOU.

Be ready . . . the God of the Universe will use the most humble and unexpected circumstances to reveal His sweetness to you.

Just look at Jesus.

2 comments:

Kim said...

My Shero,
That is so awesome. This put tears of joy in my eyes. God is so big. He does uses ALL of his children for his glory. I am just in awe. WOW!

Karen Barnett said...

Very cool, Joanne! How old were they? Beautifully written, as usual! :)