Friday, July 13

One Small Stone

Okay, here is something interesting that most of you don't know about me. I have a small bag of polished stones perched on my desk. They are representative of my battle against the Goliaths in my life. My Mordecai's got one just like it (you know who you are).

These pebbles serve as great reminders that as a disciple of Christ, I face a battle every day. My battle is against the forces of darkness - against giants who continually defy the armies of the Living God.

I want to share with you today an article that I submitted to a publication called "The Upper Room". My article was rejected. I am discovering that a writer's life is one that has to get used to rejection, so I am learning how to fail forward. I welcome rejection and constructive criticism - it helps make me a better writer. But anything that makes you better can make you uncomfortable and sometimes even hurt. I like to believe that even though this piece won't be published for millions to read, it was written for somebody - namely me.

Sharing my heart with all of you, means sharing my Goliaths. I pull a stone out of my bag today, and face the Giant of Rejection by posting this on my blog. I hope this article brings the true heart of ministry into focus for you.

“Facing the Giant of Burn-Out”

To be a servant of Christ requires a great amount of courage. Whether it is your first time helping somebody or you find that you’re reaching a milestone in the ministry - a giant lurks close by. He is peering down at you with a snarl. Fear of this Goliath threatens to tear away at your peace, creating a lot of noise and “busyness”. He holds the weapon of “indifference” in one hand and is accompanied by an army’s worth of “worry”. How can you, God’s servant, stand against such opposition?

Standing sometimes means knowing who you are and who you are not . When given an opportunity to serve, what determines your answer? Does your calendar decide? Do emotions play a part? What about guilt? Our relationship with the Lord should always precede any work we do for Him. Throwing the stone of “priority” will hit that giant between the eyes every time. God’s Word tells us that our relationship with Him should always come first. Next in line should be our spouse, then children, and finally work. Trailing behind each of these roles and interwoven into every one of them is ministry. Anything outside of these parameters moves us off balance, giving our enemy an excellent chance to knock us on the ground.

Serving in your giftedness is a great way to keep the giant’s weapon of indifference from hardening your heart. If he can’t keep you from serving God, he will work to take away your joy. Understanding how you are wired and the spiritual gift you have been given makes serving an exciting adventure. “Passion” is the stone needed to fight monotony. Throw with accuracy. The Holy Spirit works powerfully through a vessel serving in her spiritual gift.

Last, but not least is the stone of “prayer” which can effectively ward off worry. As God molds us more into the likeness of Christ, we begin to operate with His heart. Compassion pours out of us like never before, leaving no room for anxiety. Prayer provides us with an opportunity to talk with God about the severity of every need. Loving with God’s heart can feel overwhelming when we don’t tap into the Source through the gift of prayer. Every step taken for God’s Kingdom is most successful when empowered by the One who issues the call.

Faith put to action serves many purposes. Lives are touched, and hearts are changed through the faithfulness of God’s servants. You may be hearing God’s call for the first time, or as a seasoned saint you are discovering a new season around the bend. Wherever you find yourself, discover what pleases God, and live out His priorities for your life. Move in your giftedness, and you’ll be surprised to find passion lightening the load. Pray like you need help for your next breath, because you do.

Be strong and courageous. When Goliath calls your name, you can stand knowing that the God you serve will pack a powerful punch behind every one of those stones.

2 comments:

Michele B said...

This sounds familiar... I love it!

I often think about your reminder that we literally depend upon God for every next breath. It immediately realigns my perspective, especially if I'm starting to get a little too full of myself... OR paradoxically, starting to doubt who I am in the Lord.

Michele B said...

OOPS! I missed your preface to this... I thought it was its own posting (reading sort of bottom to top to get up to speed on your blog)!

Joanne, I use to submit my writing to publications all the time. I got one thing published out of dozens I submitted! And it was in an obscure offbeat little paper that probably three people read. If that. You are handling this way better than I did!

Rejection doesn't feel wonderful, especially for those of us who don't always feel great about ourselves to begin with (and I think maybe I speak for both of us here). But you're right... we write for ourselves and the Lord first and foremost.

Funny, some of the reasons I was given for the pieces being rejected were actually the very qualities I was striving for, so I took a
perverse comfort in that.

Anyway, I still love this piece, even more now! Don't you dare stop writing... ESPECIALLY those Bible studies we-all are going to hold you accountable for!