Saturday, July 7

Capturing Moments

My cousin Jamie helped me download all of my digital pictures onto our computer last night. I've had the camera dock in a box in my closet for months now. Capturing moments is definitely not a strong point for me. In fact, the thought of scrap booking or organizing pictures puts my stomach in a knot.

I for one, feel so completely behind in this area. I have so many photos. Some are filed away, some are stored in boxes and some now live on my computer. I have even managed to create a few photo albums . . . but only three have been completed in the 14 years we've been married.

Scrap booking is something I really enjoy, but I never sit down to work on it without a load of anxiety piling up. Why do I feel like such a failure in this area? Is it because I have successfully completed baby albums for my two boys, but haven't even started Makayla's? She's five now!

The best way I have been able to reconcile this unkept room of my life, is to first set aside any unrealistic expectations. My comparison of other people's prize albums immediately puts me into a pit of despair. I know that I will never get there, because that is not how God has prioritized my life. I'm in a different place, and in a different season. It might even have something to do with the fact that I don't have that kind of personality . . . and that's okay.

This thought just occurred to me. What if I were to set other people's examples aside, and ask God what He would have me do with my pictures? What is the reason for taking them, and how can they bring glory to Him? Hmmmm . . . interesting concept. But I have tried creating a spiritual scrapbook before, and I only got about 1/3 of it done (with no pictures included). Now that doesn't glorify God. That is just another unfinished project.

But wait. Did God ask me to create a spiritual scrapbook? Have I just slapped the word "spiritual" onto another unfinished project? Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of leaving a spiritual legacy for generations to come. It would be ideal to create dozens of spiritual scrapbooks, all documenting the footprints of God in our family. But maybe I am only a piece to the puzzle of this dream. Maybe I will simply be the collector of memories.

The ache and panic of capturing moments runs a little bit deeper for me than unfinished albums. I think at the core of why I struggle with this has to do with letting go. I am wanting to capture moments, and keep them frozen. I don't want my kids to grow up so fast. Life just seems to be slipping away too quickly. We only have so much time here on this earth, and my anxious pursuit of scrap booking is one of the ways I try and control the inevitable passing of time.

Collecting and organizing our family's photos. That is all that I am able to do right now. And because I feel a sense of peace in letting all the rest go - I know that it's enough.

3 comments:

Michele B said...

Four days ago I started to write a comment on this entry, but got distracted. I have no idea what happened to the draft I'd thought I'd saved. (And what does THAT say about how good I am at capturing the moment?)

I had a lot of photos of my firstborn from those early years. By the time my second arrived, I barely had time to eat and breathe, much less take pictures. I always felt guilty about that, like somehow I was unwittingly casting fewer votes for him in the poll of "who's the favorite child" when it wasn't that at all.

What pictures I did have of them both (many not taken by me) I'd stuffed in a cardboard box for safe-keeping and future cataloguing.

Oh the plans of mice and men.

A couple decades later, after many mini- and a few maxi-catasrophes and frantic moves, I'd left that cardboard box in a storage room that unbeknownst to me let just a little rain in year after year.

I lost so many precious pictures. I was devastated and the guilt was too much for me, until the Lord gently reminded me that He had all those stills (and so much more) forever safe with Him.

NOTHING is lost with HIM. No twinkle of the eye. No birthday surprise. No tear shed for sorrow, joy, or both. He holds it all. And I think I know what He calls His scrapbook! He holds each nanosecond, hour, day and season in His hand. We struggle to hold onto things we don't need to.

I thinks it's time to stop beating myself up over the loss of those "precious moments" and move on. Thanks for spurring me on to this realization.

I wonder: How many moments do we miss stressing about the moments we've missed?

Joanne Reese said...

Michele,

I always treasure your comments, so insightful - they always get me thinking. Keep posting comments, you are like the cherry on top!!

YOU should start a blog, you have so much to share.

Joanne

Michele B said...

Thanks for that! But I don't even have time to read the blogs I want to, much less write one!! LOL!