Sunday, July 1

All For Him

I have been working really hard, trying to master the art of guitar. Six months in and I have amazingly been able to get my open chords down. The next hurdle will be barre chords. This is more like a mountain than a hurdle - the marathon of marathons for my index finger. But with every practice session, my mind gets a little big sharper and my fingers a bit stronger.

Aside from being the next Marie Osmond (you think I'm kidding), my goal in learning the guitar is to worship the Lord deeply from my heart. There are a lot of voices I am choosing to ignore such as, "You can't sing. You are too old to start from the beginning. Everybody will just be tolerating you." Okay, maybe all of these are true, but when a girl has a dream in her heart, logic takes a back seat.

In other words, I may not have a lick of talent, but I'm not going to let that stop me. God has put a song in my heart . . . as a matter of fact, hundreds of them . . . all to be belted out in His name - for His glory. My practice time truly is a time of worship, where the deep parts of my heart (parts that I cannot find words for) are being expressed through the music. There is nothing like it in all the world.

I realized something yesterday though, about this dream of mine. I don't know that it will necessarily be shared with the world. Let me tell you why. My cousin Jodie came over yesterday, with her mom and our Nana. They asked me to play them something, and so I reluctantly pulled out Daisy Mae. (I like to name my guitars.)

What I discovered, is that the jam session I had earlier sounded nothing like it did when I had a captive audience. With others in the room I played timidly, sang quietly and felt really silly. But when I was alone with the Lord hours earlier, I sang at the top of my voice - more importantly I sang and played with my whole heart.

There is something so wonderfully intimate about the things that I do to honor God, when it's all for Him. Many times they are secret acts of obedience that nobody ever even knows about except for me and the Lord. Times like these build my intimacy with Him - making me realize that nobody else can fill the giant-size hole I carry around on in the inside. "How Deep the Father's Love for Us" . . . His LOVE is always enough to fill any canyon sized hole.

Here are the lyrics to a worship song I am currently tackling. If there is anybody out there reading this, I do hope it will minister to you in a profound way. If it's just You and I here Lord, let's take it from the top. Marie Osmond . . . watch out.

How Deep the Father's Love for Us

How deep the Father's love for us,
how vast beyond all measure
that He should give His only Son
to make a wretch His treasure.
How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turned His face away
as wounds which marred the chosen One
bring many sons to glory.
Behold the Man upon a cross,
my sin upon His shoulders.
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice
call out among the scoffers.
It was my sin that held Him there
until it was accomplished;
His dying breath has brought me life.
I know that it is finished.
I will not boast in anything:
no gifts, no power, not wisdom.
But I will boast in Jesus Christ:
His death and resurrection.
Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart:
His wounds have paid my ransom.

No comments: