Friday, July 6

Lazy Days

Lazy summer days are always something I have to ease into. My personality is one that desires order and productivity. It may sound strange, but I have a hard time just relaxing. I've learned through the years to use my time wisely, and summer vacation always throws a monkey wrench into my meticulous planning.

So when my schedule gets thrown out the window, and when there are suddenly all of these people in my space - I guess you could say that I am, well, grumpy. I could label it all kinds of things like: I am an introvert, I need my space, I am working toward goals . . . and the list could go on and on.

But what it really comes down to is this. Selfishness. My schedule, my plans, my space - it is nauseating really. What is it that God is trying to teach me about relaxing and letting go? God's plans for my day rarely fit my day timer. God is so much more fun than that. There are always divine appointments here and there butting in.

I think I have forgotten the art of surrendering my day to the Lord. Instead of praying through my list of to-dos, I should be asking God where He is working, so that I can join Him. It is so easy for me to forget the simple truths of walking with Christ. He is never in a hurry. He always provides ample time to complete His priorities. His burden is easy, His load is light. It's summer vacation for crying out loud. God is giving me permission to relax and to go with the flow.

So how will I shift gears and cooperate with the sun dial? I think I'll start on my knees, and then maybe nestle in with a good book. I might even indulge in some fiction, and give my character sharpening pursuit a rest for a while.

Sometimes all God is asking me to do, is just be.

3 comments:

Gena said...

I am so with you on this one, Joanne. It is very difficult for me to "just be," but God is stretching me in this area and challenging me to relax and really "be there" with my kids instead of trying to keep them occupied so that I can do what I think I needs to be done. We can pray for each other on this one. :-)

Joanne Reese said...

It's great to know I am not alone on this one. I would really appreciate your prayers, thank you. I will pray for you too.

Being good mommies should always come before saving the world.

Come to think of it, God probably uses the influence of good mommies to help save the world.

Michele B said...

No "probably" about it. He DOES!