Friday, November 9

Quest

Mark and I have chosen quite a quest tonight. No, we are not climbing half dome, nor does this feat include a high wire trapeze or swallowing knives. Instead, we have opened our home to six boys . . . all for Matthew's slumber party.

I can remember my slumber parties when I was a young girl. It was always so much fun trying to stay up all night. We would watch scary movies and talk about boys. It was the one night where rules like "having a bed time" were left by the way side. Candy and soda past ten, even some prank calls, and lots and lots of giggling. All that we couldn't control about life was handed to us in those twilight hours.

Tonight Mark and I decided that we would take the boys to Laser Quest. On the way up to Modesto, the kids broke themselves up into two teams and began talking about strategies. One team was in Mark's car, the other one in mine. With Makayla and I being the only girls, we just shrugged our shoulders and tried to pretend like we cared.

When it was time to enter the tagging area, she took one look at the green monster painted on the black lit wall and we knew we needed to stay behind. Her and I enjoyed a nice game of air hockey instead.

All of this got me thinking. I've been on a quest of sorts for some time now, trying to find my way through this maze of life. I've done my best to suit up and be prepared. I've tried to figure out which team to pour my efforts into, but I'm finding that in God's eyes teams are too divisive. The idea of oneness and family is more His style.

As I step onto the battlefield of life, I do my best to listen to instructions first, but I can't always remember the safety rules. I discover hundreds of hairy green monsters with orange eyes and large fangs just waiting to pounce. Around every corner there always seems to be something that wants to take me down. Doubt, hopelessness, hurt feelings . . . and the mortal blow - an unforgiving heart.

I do have a healthy respect for this spiritual battle I speak of. I understand that the stakes are very high, and that the salvation and purity of souls is no game. Like laser tag, you can get hit when you are least expecting it. But there are also times when you find yourself up on a higher level with the advantage of a better view. You win some and you lose some as you take a stand for Christ.

And like those wee morning hours during a slumber party, there is such a sweet freedom in winning and losing with the heart of a child. Knowing that our Lord Jesus Christ holds the victory promotes awe and wonder . . .

ushering in the joy of a few giggles.

No comments: