Monday, November 5

Much-Afraid

Last night I decided to nestle my nose into one of my favorite books of all time. "Hinds' Feet on High Places", by Hannah Hurnard. If you haven't read it - I encourage you to make the trip to Borders. You won't be disappointed.

I read this book years ago with a mentor friend of mine. We went through each page, each paragraph and every juicy sentence - together. We shared comments, pondered thoughts and became more intimate with our Shepherd than ever before. There was something about God all of those years ago that took my breath away. I began to experience the same wooing again last night.

Without giving too much away, well . . . I will tell you what the book cover says: This book is a beautiful allegory dramatizing the yearning of God's children to be led to new heights of love, joy and victory. Follow Much-Afraid on her spiritual journey through difficult places with her two companions, Sorrow and Suffering. Learn how Much-Afraid overcomes her tormenting fears as she passes through many dangers and mounts at last to the High Places. There she gains a new name and returns to her valley of service, transformed by her union with the loving Shepherd.

It is truly a masterpiece. My heart quickens with thoughts of how the story unfolds. Before I retired last night, I finished the chapter on pride, where one of her very distant relatives, who is called Pride, tries to convince Much-Afraid that the climb is not worth it. He plants seeds of doubt, causing Much-Afraid to be confused and more afraid than ever. With one call to the Shepherd, he is at her side, and the Fearlings (Much-Afraid's relatives) have to flee. So Pride tucked his tail between his legs and headed for the nearest exit. It was great.

As I pick up this book years later, I find myself in a different season but with the same desire - to know my Shepherd better. Like Much-Afraid, I too have crippled feet and a terribly disfigured face. But with the Shepherd's touch, I am made beautiful. And even more than that, I am made loveable - worthy of love.

I'd like to write more, but I think I'd rather spend the rest of the evening curled up next to my husband. The next chapter talks about a detour through the desert.

Hmmm . . . I've been traipsing through a bit of sand lately. Can't wait to discover the parallel.

No comments: