Monday, October 1

First Day

As I stepped into the church office this morning, something was different. Was it the strong smell of coffee brewing so early? Could it have been the boxes I carried in my arms? Maybe it was the way I sauntered in without any of my kids under tow.

No, those things weren't it. They may very well have all been true - but that's not what had me wide eyed and mystified. This day, the first of October 2007 I walked into the church office I have come to know and love - as an employee.

I felt a little bit nervous, not really knowing what to expect. What will it feel like to perch behind Kim's desk? Will I know how to do what I am asked to do? What if I accidentally hang up on somebody, or fumble through a phone call? What if I can't find the bathroom?

Okay, I'm being silly I know - but when you start a new job it is normal to have a few jitters. Everyone was very kind to me today, helping me get settled. Phil offered to hang some pictures, while Sandy gave me the grand tour. Janice trained me on phones and Leon stuck his tongue out at me.

I can't exactly describe what was different, except to say that something was. I still connected with the same people today that I normally do when I go into the office. I spent some time with Sandy, talking and laughing. Chuckled a little bit with Michelle about . . . well, I don't remember now. I sat with Janice for a bit and took some instructions from Pastor Dave. I even got tormented by Leon (it wouldn't be a real day without some of that).

Overall, I felt very much at home - and I look forward to going back again tomorrow. I am going to be really honest, and say that I have desired to work for the church for about seven years. There hasn't been any particular position I've had my eye on or anything - but to be a part of the family - a real part has been a prayer of mine for some time.

Maybe that is why is am so awestruck. The fulfillment of a dream that I've held for seven years has come to fruition. God opened doors that I could never have opened on my own - in His perfect timing. There is something that takes my breath away about His goodness.

So as I mosey on over to use the microwave for lunch, or fiddle with the office key to rummage through a cabinet . . . nothing will be nonchalant my activity. This girl knows that being here is a gift from God - and I don't take this privilege lightly.

Lord Jesus, every beat of my heart is one of thanks. Use me in this glorious place . . . as you see fit.

No comments: