Saturday, September 29

Rap Song

I had a very interesting thing happen today. Saturday is my grocery shopping day (most weekends anyway). Mark and I take turns going, and this week it was my turn. So after getting myself and the house put together, I headed to Costco. Then I was off to Food Maxx (for maximum discount savings) only to land at Safeway for meat.

It was a typical day. Going early in the day kept the crowds to a dull roar. I was in and out of each store quickly, able to pick up the items I needed without much trouble. An ordinary grocery shopping kind of day didn't have me prepared for what I would see next. At my last stop, I wasn't expecting to be changed from the inside out.

As I stepped into Safeway, my eyes and ears landed on the most peculiar scene. Now I know that Safeway is at the tail end of their remodel. I have to admit, at first - I hated it. Everything seemed so dark and gloomy. But now that I have gotten used to it, I can appreciate the "at home" feel. On this particular Saturday, I wasn't exasperated by the illuminated signs, nor did the longer aisles catch my fancy. What I saw today, was a bold and courageous warrior of God.

Positioned in front of the store, just a few feet shy of the check out lines, stood a stocky man with a microphone. He looked a little bit on the rough side, sporting street-kid looking clothes and tattoos up the wazoo. They had some funky rap music playing over the loud speaker, and this guy was belting out the most amazing rhyme.

This beautiful saint of God, spoke words of repentance and rest, salvation and sanctification. Through the boom of the base and the story line of his song - this guy was speaking my language.

I could hardly believe what I was hearing. It was God's name proclaimed, throughout Safeway by the most unsuspecting vessel. It felt like I was in a dream or something . . . I just couldn't wrap my mind around what I was seeing.

As this young man gave it all he had, everyone around me just went along with their business. Nobody stopped to look, everybody just ignored the entertainment, and even worse they ignored his message.

I stood there staring, completely memorized. I didn't know whether to raise my hands or pay for my groceries. God's Spirit rang through that store - and my heart rejoiced.

I decided not to stop to find out about the ministry. But as I walked on by, an older gentlemen was seated close by. He seemed to be accompanying this guy, and was in charge of the sound. His wink in my direction indicated to me, that we may have been the only two in the whole store appreciating the show.

As I walked out to my car, I wondered how in the world these guys got permission to do that. Proclaiming the name of the Lord, preaching repentance and the need for Jesus Christ - all shouted through a microphone in the grocery store.

I discerned God's little nudge. He was showing me that this is what living for Jesus sometimes looks like. You are called to the most ridiculous of places, simply being yourself, and using your heart and your gift to speak God's message. It doesn't matter how people respond. Some may raise an eyebrow, while others shake their head. Then there will be the blessed few, who feel the need to raise a hand.

God's Spirit ministered to a select few today. It was a breathtaking honor to be one of the chosen.

1 comment:

Celeste said...

You are right..it does not matter how people will respond to whatever you are called by God to do. HIs response is what matters...to the good and faithful servant!