Friday, September 28

Trinkets

As I prepare to step into this new job, I feel the need to organize things at home. Yes, this means that the nesting bug has bitten again. I guess you could say that I am a nester by nature - kind of a homebody really, who likes to work on making the environment a place of beauty and order.

If you've been keeping up with my posts, you probably remember that I have spent spurts of the summer already participating in this whole nesting thing. There is just something about stepping into a new season that makes me want to make sure that there is no stone unturned. Does this make me strange? Maybe so, but I have yet to meet anybody normal. What does normal look like anyway? My guess is that anyone who is considered "normal" would probably be a terrible bore.

I have always been one to creatively express myself in my environment. For example, when I was a little girl, I loved to clean and organize my room. Every so often, I would re-arrange the furniture to give the atmosphere a new feel. I collected little trinkets (always meaningful ones with a story attached), and opted for anything furry or cute to place on my dresser.

When I became a teenager, a very pink and satiny bedspread was my room's focus, while posters of the ballerinas and the latest hunks adorned my walls - watching my every move. I had pink everything - even a pink phone. I wonder what ever happened to that phone . . . and all of that other junk.

As I look around my office tonight, I notice quite a bit of trinkets. Everything I collect has deep meaning to me - and it is usually representative of a way that God has revealed Himself to me. The plethora of items hanging on my walls and resting on my desk look like a bunch of random items. But each one has a story. I'd love to tell you about each one.

There's an idea. I thought about tucking some of this gobbledygook away for the sake of "cleaning". Maybe I could blog about each item before putting it away. That would give me quite a bit to write about, and you would get a better idea of who writes these crazy posts.

I plan on transporting some of the treasures to my new office space on Monday. I also swung by Walmart today, to pick up some picture frames and decorating items to add some color to my new nest. I spent a whole hour there today, just browsing and dreaming.

So what will I write about first? Guess you'll have to wait until tomorrow. Killing two birds (cleaning and writing) with one stone sounds very appealing.

It is my hope that each story will open up your awareness of God's presence. He is always very close, and His love can be seen in the simplest of trinkets.

No comments: