Wednesday, August 1

Nesting

Every now and then I will get a wild hair, carrying with it a boatload of motivation to clean. With the new school year starting next week, I shifted into gear this morning. There were beds to launder and move around, drawers to clean out, closets to organize and paperwork to go through. I spent the entire day cleaning and re-arranging furniture.

As I puttered through drawers and laundered bedding, I found myself on the phone catching up with a couple of friends. I seem to get more done when I'm engaged in conversation. With one friend I swapped stories, prayer requests and some of my deep concerns and hopes about this whole "job" idea. With another friend we talked about the magnificence of God and His timing. At one point, I likened my cleaning spree to the indulgence of a hot fudge sundae. My girlfriend thought I was nuts. "Nuts you say? I guess I am a little nutty . . . sure, sprinkle some on!"

Something a lot of people loath, I get great enjoyment out of. Cleaning. I find cleaning to be so therapeutic. I won't go as far as to say that I am always in the mood for it - but when the mood hits me, watch out! All of those drawers that I've been stuffing things into, and the closets that have fallen out of sorts suddenly stand at attention. From pantries to file cabinets, catch-alls to cubbies - no nook is left unturned.

Usually before a new season of some kind, I will begin nesting, a lot like a little bird. I will start gathering the right kind of twigs, throwing out the clutter - all to make my home a place of peace and comfort. There are still a lot of things I would like to do to enhance the look of our home, but even without the painted walls or expensive decor, my home is a creative expression of me. I find great contentment in taking care of the blessings we already have.

Spring cleaning, summer cleaning . . . call it what you will. I find that God will sometimes tap me on the shoulder about my my spiritual and emotional life as well. Through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit I will get a burst of motivation to clean up my heart. Feeble attempts and bent determination will sometimes get one room of my heart tidy, but there are always more rooms needing attention. I am so grateful that God doesn't expect me to get it all done in one day. And like places around the house, consistent maintenance is needed to keep junk from piling up.

We serve a redemptive and orderly God. Whether it is a corner in your living room or a pocket in your heart, don't put up with clutter and mediocrity. Be ready for those moments of inspiration. When they do come, get God on the phone through prayer. Grab hold of that wild hair with both hands

. . . and let the nesting begin.

No comments: