Tuesday, July 31

The Smiling Preacher

Having a melancholy personality, I find myself feeling mopey now and again. My mind seems to automatically default to the doom and gloom. This is not God's best for me - He promises a life of abundance, not drama. I had a special friend once tell me, "It's time to stop parking on your bottom lip." I've parked there so much, I'll bet there's a dent.

When I'm in a funk, I'll usually pull out on old favorite off of my bookshelf to help change my thoughts. Some that work well for me are, "Battlefield of the Mind" and "Praying God's Word." Currently I am reading "Live Your Best Life Now" by Joel Osteen (the smiling preacher). That guy can always get me in a good mood. I will sometimes catch his broadcast as I'm flipping through the channels, and it doesn't matter what I am facing that day - I always feel a little bit taller after hearing him preach.

I absolutely LOVE what he does at the beginning of his sermons. Before he "starts with something funny", he has everyone in the Compaq Center hold up their Bibles, and repeat this phrase . . .

"This is my Bible. I am what it says I am. I have what it says I have. I can do what it says I can do. Today I will be taught the Word of God. I boldly confess, my mind is alert and my heart is receptive. I am about to receive the incorruptible, indestructible Word of God. I will never be the same, never ever ever, I will never be the same, in Jesus' name."

That statement alone can pull me up out of any pity party. What I like best about Joel, is that this guy knows where to point the people. The Word of God is what He bases every challenge and encouraging principle on. These simple truths are a lot of times what trips me up. Like this verse . . .

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. ~Romans 12:2

Joel takes the simple and most basic of God's precepts, and challenges us to start living them out. I think we could all benefit from less education and more obedience.

It may seem to some people like Joel's ministry is too commercialized - but think of how many "worldly people" are getting a peek into the abundant life! God's Word tells us to go into all the world and make disciples. A big showy ministry can work just as well as a humble act of kindness. Both can point to the kind of hope this world is hungry for.

God Joel Osteen has chosen to change his poor thinking patterns. His father broke the generational curse of poverty and mediocrity. Joel believes God for big things, not material things, but he lives with the expectation of God's favor. He is facing his fears, reaching millions and living out his destiny - all to the glory of God.

Simple, but great. No wonder he is always smiling.

No comments: