Thursday, August 2

The "D" Word

I mentioned a few entries back about my tendency to complain about making dinner. This is not because I don't like to cook. Because the truth is, I really do enjoy it. I think my problem is that I can get into a rut. Most of the time, preparing a meal for my family seems like an daunting task. Due to procrastination and lack of imagination, I find myself mechanically making the same meals over and over again.

I've got a whole drawer of recipes just calling out to me. So today I decided to dig into my cookbooks for a little inspiration. Amazingly, I rediscovered the joy of mixing and measuring! I've come to the conclusion (after cooking for fourteen years now) that I might as well get some enjoyment out of something I have to do every single day. Whether I enjoy it or not, there are still going to be four pairs of eyes looking to me for nourishment. Make that five with Ginger. No, seven including our goldfish. Talk about pressure.

My Mom was never one to be in the kitchen. She would always manage to get a nice a hot meal on the table every night, but I don't remember much enjoyment going into her preparation. Dinner was kind of like the "D" word around our house. The "What's for dinner?" question would loom over her head like a dark cloud. I'm afraid that same cloud has managed to follow me through the years. Most days, it gets the best of me.

So this morning I began searching for a little bit of flavor, some texture and a bit of color as I thought about the "D" word. I sat on my couch with cookbooks surrounding me, looking for a succulent idea or two. My eyes landed on the following: Oven Fried Chicken, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, and Autumn Fruit Salad. I wrote down the ingredients I was missing, and headed to the store.

After gathering the goodies, I spent the rest of the afternoon chopping, mixing and basting. It was a blast! The anticipation of how everything would turn out kept me moving. Would they praise my meal or turn their noses up? With a picky family, I just never know what I am going to get.

When Mark got home from work he lent me a hand. We talked about our day while the two of us prepared dinner together. This rarely happens. Not because Mark is not willing, but who wants to join someone who isn't having any fun? I've never made "dinner making" an inviting kind of thing . . . until now.

Don't get me wrong, I have tried a new recipe before (usually when I'm in my nesting mood), and things don't always turn out like I hope they will. But tonight, everything was wonderful! And I got so much satisfaction out of blessing my favorite tummies.

It may not seem like a big deal to most, but this is huge for me. God has breathed new life into a chore that meets me every afternoon around 3 o'clock. I know that I won't have time to get that extravagant every night. But I can get a little bit fancy here and there. I can improvise and try new things. Today something was rekindled.

So what do you feel in a rut about? Cooking dinner? Picking up a half-finished project again? Working towards a dream? Don't be afraid to get a little instruction - either from a friend, a magazine or a cookbook. The Bible has even been known to have a proverb or two. Like I said yesterday, we serve a redeeming God. He wants to breathe life into those ominous places.

I've decided to change my attitude about cooking dinner. The dark "D" cloud will have to move elsewhere. This girl is going to work on being better in the kitchen. (I think the smiling preacher is really starting to get to me.)

What can I say? Some of us just wait until the fifteenth year before we blossom. Better late than never I guess. I may be a little bit slow on the uptake, but God's timing is always just right.

No comments: