Friday, July 27

Winding Down

Summer is beginning to wind down for us. I only have four more days, and then my "time off" will officially be over. The kids will start school on the 7Th, so lazy days are starting to slip away. Slip as they may . . .

I have become pretty well accustomed to this whole "relaxing" thing. As a matter of fact, I am having a hard time getting myself motivated to do much of anything. My lawn chair and a good book calls out above my need to vacuum and dust. Errands seem intrusive and making dinner a real chore. (Oh ya, I said I wouldn't complain about that - oops!) I think it's safe to say that I have fully transferred into summer mode.

But it should be pretty easy to switch gears again. There is a part of my personality that looks forward to getting back to routine. I thrive on schedules and predictability. I've got a mess of ideas to implement for next year. A writing deadline taps me on the shoulder, and I look forward to running a household again.

So why do I share all of this with you? To encourage you to take notice. Wherever you find yourself - God is there. He accompanies every vacation and every dip in the pool. His presence sits on the prelude to Fall, when back to school supplies and harvest decorations cover your kitchen table. He centers Himself on every emotion, every anticipation and fear. He is ever present.

God is not limited to the quiet pocket of prayer you squeeze in here and there. He's not confined to appearances on Sunday mornings, or to deep Bible study discussions. God embodies every moment, wanting so much to be with you. He is a faithful Companion, riding the summers and the winters of life with you.

So whether you find yourself lounging on your favorite chair, or charting the course for next year . . . stop a moment and take notice. He is closer than your next breath. And His Word promises that if you love Him - goodness will be a part of everything you do.

No comments: