Wednesday, July 25

The Nilli's

When I think back to the magic of moving into Turlock, I think of one family - the Nilli's. They were the first family to purchase a home on our block, and the one family that made an unfamiliar place feel so much like home.

Positioned dead center in the middle of our street, the Nilli family was like the glue that brought all of us together. Outdoor BBQ's, 4Th of July fireworks, Christmas lights galore . . . everything they did was with their whole heart. I have great memories of those early years in our brand new home. Most of them include Steve and Lisa. I remember thinking that we had moved into a dream.

My phone rang this afternoon. It was a call from Kentucky. I normally ignore those calls, often times it will be a telemarketer. But something told me to pick it up. It was Derek (their second son) saying they were on their way into the neighborhood. It was such a great surprise.

Their move to Kentucky some years ago has always left a void. I remember the day their Winnebago drove out of the cul-de-sac. I cried off and on for the rest of the evening. The holidays have never been the same without Lisa's baking and Steve's tinkering. I am making these folks sound like the Walton's or something, and they are really just regular people. But God knit our hearts together in those tender years while we borrowed cups of sugar and traded lawn equipment.

Today's visit was really special. They have a fourteen month old little boy named Hunter, and aside from pictures, it was the first time we've seen him. Lisa was reminding me about how I would always ask her how she got everything done (I used to be the one with little ones). And now she is asking me for advice about all of that stuff. She made me appreciate the season I am stepping into. With all of my kids starting school this fall I might actually enjoy a little peace and quiet. We have come to the conclusion that when the kids are babies, you're just going to be exhausted. This too shall pass.

A wonderful Christian family who modeled what loving others really looks like. Some people come into your life and go without leaving a mark. Then there are people like the Nilli's who somehow always stay.

No comments: