Saturday, July 21

Blue Faces

What to write about today, let's see . . . what about rocks?

I know that I've written about a bag of giant killing stones - but rocks are quite different. While a stone is something you can throw, rocks are more stagnant. They are heavier and can even be considered immovable. Okay, I guess I'm not fooling you or myself. Rocks and stones are pretty much the same thing. At least I think they are . . .

But not rocks with faces drawn on them. They are in a class all by themselves. While we were visiting with my Mom earlier this week, my kids managed to collect a handful of some rocks from her yard. I came in one afternoon after being gone for a walk and Makayla's hands were all blue. Michael had blue fingertips. I knew something was up.

"What are you guys doing?" I asked, afraid to get an answer.

"Look Mom! We are making rock people."

A row of rocks lined my Mom's kitchen table. There were round ones and square shaped ones, smooth rocks and ragged ones, gray ones and white ones. Each stone had a face, and a personality to boot.

"We are playing rocks Mom! Wanna play?"

I wish I had taken them up on the offer, but at the time I was looking to get a glass of water. It was more fun watching anyway. I stood in awe of their wonder and fascination with nature. They played with those rocks for hours.

When it was time to head back to Turlock, I offered each of them a zip lock bag with which to transport their new friends. Micheal even picked out the one he thought looked most like him. Personally, I thought it favored Mark more - but I didn't say so. (You know I'm kidding honey.)

With or without blue faces, "even the rocks will cry out". I found such delight in watching my kids that lazy afternoon.

What delight God has in watching us - as we live out our imagination.

No comments: