Tuesday, July 17

Reinforcement

I've been thinking a lot about last Sunday's message. It was a real treat. Pastor Mike Heiniger was visiting our church, and he shared the story of Rahab with us. I always love a story with a hero - especially a hero is who is the most unlikely candidate. What can I say? I tend to root for the underdog. I like to think that God does too.

During his sermon, Mike encouraged us to let go of the past and embrace the future. We are not to depend on our own abilities, but to lean on God's strength. He also challenged us to make choices based on eternal unseen truth instead of temporary visible lies.

Boy, that last point really hit a cord with me . . . hold on to truth and let go of lies? At the end of the service, we were given the chance to take a scarlet "chord" with us, as a reminder of choosing to walk by faith.

Mark and I tied ours around our wrists right away, and I have to tell you that mine has fallen off about a dozen times. I lost it twice, once in the parking lot and the other time in the bathroom. Every time I found it off of my wrist, I panicked.

I tend to be kind of a slow learner. Any kind of visual aid is very helpful for me, so this red threat was meaningful. Especially since it had to do with a truth that God is trying to reinforce in my life. I'd like to keep this red thread on for a while, at least until I can remember without the reminder. Is anybody with me?

So for a little reinforcement today, I grabbed a needle and thread and began sewing the knot into place. That should do it. Now it won't come undone and escape. Then I took it a step further, and cut and burned both ends. One end was starting to fray, and I just couldn't have the thing looking untidy. Now I know that even my fair to middle sewing skills won't make it full proof - but that really is knot the point.

This whole ordeal got me thinking about how fragile a new truth can sometimes be. God will have the most incredible precept presented at the table for my taking. It will always grab my attention, and inevitably it captures my heart. It is beautiful to look at - radiant really. So in faith, I will take a step toward the table I and nonchalantly tie it around my heart.

Then life butts it. Sleeves from a sweater, hand washing, food preparation, bed making - should I go on? And somehow the new truth I was treasuring falls off or becomes easily frayed. So how can I reinforce something that God wants me to hold on to for more than ten minutes?

I thought about the needle and thread. The red thread had to pass through the needle. In the same way, I must squeeze myself through unbelief and complacency. Then a knot is tied at the end. My "nots" can go something like this. I will "not" allow that thought to take root. I will "not" doubt God's love for me. I will "not" allow the words and actions of others to dictate my worth.

Then comes the threading. The Holy Spirit has to pass in and out of my "nots" to keep them securely fastened. Then at last, the cutting and the burning. My frayed emotions and tattered intentions simply have to go. A couple of snips, and the fire of trial seals the deal.

My crimson reminder now rests firmly on my left wrist. And with the reinforcement of all of heaven, God's wonderful promise will last much longer than this flimsy piece of material.

1 comment:

jojo said...

I am so proud of you for going for it, and being consistent with your blog. Everything I have read is wonderful. I love knowing what is going on with you day by day. Often times the things that we write are the things we probably wouldn't find the time to talk about. Keep it up girlfriend! I love sharing the journey with you. Oh....and by the way....have a wonderful, peace-filled, restful...day. Remember trying to find parking in San Franscisco? We should try that again sometime.

friends and family....come on!