Friday, July 20

Small Stuff

I decided to sleep in this morning. It was wonderful. I don't usually like to sleep in, because it gives me a headache and takes up way to much of my morning. But once in a while I will allow myself the indulgence. With mornings like today, I think I could get used to being lazy. I have no headache today.

As I rested there, pondering the mess of dreams I had the night before, I began to pray. I thanked God for the tree outside my window, for the comfort of my bed, for the voices in the other room. One of those voices made her way into my room and cuddled in next to me. The first words I heard this morning were words of wisdom from a blond head of curls.

"Mommy" she said. "Things that are big to us are small to God, and things that are small to us are big to God."

Okay, that is probably enough to write a whole book about. I made a mental note to ponder that when I felt more awake. God was speaking to me through the random thoughts of my five year old daughter. So often He will get my attention this way. The trick is, to be listening.

"Things that are big to us are small to God." What is big to me that is small to God? Here is a list of some of mine: things I worry about, giants I face, mountains I have yet to climb, and the list could go on. To be more specific I will say: circumstances out of MY control, fear lurking around every corner, steps into an unknown future - these are all biggies for me. But from God's perspective (the eternal perspective), they are but a breath and a shadow. God knows that what I worry about today will disappear tomorrow. Every snarling giant only gives me the opportunity to grow in courage. And the uncertainty of my future? This is where I have the chance to trust the God who holds it.

"Things that are small to us are big to God." This will be a fun one. What is small to me that is big to God? What about kisses and giggles, long walks and ice cream sandwiches? I think about all of the little blessings that I take for granted. They are marks of His love and grace. Then I think about the random acts of kindness that don't really seem to make any difference. A kind word, a smile or the choice to forgive AGAIN. Every choice I make to bless and not to curse alters the course of history. What we consider to be the small stuff are really the biggies.

So what about you? What GIGANTIC thing looms over your head? Take comfort in the fact that it's all small stuff for the Big Guy. And what about little things? What beauty is made too small due to a numb or busy heart?

Like the saying goes, "Don't sweat the small stuff." And I'd like to add this . . .
"DON'T MISS IT either."

2 comments:

Celeste said...

I really love what you wrote and really got me thinking...especially stopping and finding what's truly important

Kim said...

Thanks My Shero for your writings. I enjoyed this one. I have been in a bit of a funk with Ben going to work this last week. This writing helps me to look at everything a little different. Thanks for sharing your heart and being so open. You really are my Shero. I miss you!
Love,
Kim