Thursday, July 19

Phone Interview

I had my first phone interview this morning . . . talk about feeling rusty. I haven't interviewed since 1992! It was terribly unnerving. I'm not too crazy about this whole job search thing. It is so ambiguous, with too much of a focus on me. People want to know what I have to offer, and on paper there is not much to say. Everything worth anything I have to offer is what Jesus Christ has done through me. The miraculous working grace of Jesus in my life, well that is something I like to talk about. Did I really dare to try and articulate something like that?

The phone rang, and my whole body tightened. It would certainly be him - the man who called yesterday to schedule the interview. What would he ask me? Should I try and sound skillful, humble - or shoot for just being myself? That might end up ruining everything, but at least I wouldn't be selling out. Being true to myself and to God is what gets me into God's door.

As the interview went on, my eyes scanned a list of questions that I was prepared to answer. Things like why I was applying for this position, my strengths and weaknesses, and the one I gulped at was, "Tell me about yourself". No, ask me anything but that one.

Then in happened. Of the five or six questions he asked, the "Tell me about yourself" one came at the end. As it fell off his lips I drew in a deep breath, closed my eyes and began to speak. I talked about my kids and family life, about my heart for ministry - and then I took the plunge. "Something interesting about me is that I am a direct manifestation of God's grace. There is nothing convincing me that I am qualified or able to perform the tasks He calls me to, but over and over again God proves Himself faithful."

There, I said it. I don't know how it came out at all, but I said it. I am a walking miracle, a rescued wretch, His humble servant. That is all anybody really needs to know about "who I am".

I hung up wondering if a second call will come. I knew that I was taking a chance being THAT honest, but I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to give God the credit. He is the reason I am even being considered for this noble position.

Come to think of it, He is the reason for my next breath.

No comments: