Thursday, December 20

Gift Cards

In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. ~ James 2:17

Today I am thankful for gift cards. Believing . . . seems like a pretty easy thing. But according to God's Word, our beliefs hold no real water unless there are actions that back them up. How often I forfeit a measure of peace for a helping of worry and doubt. I sometimes wonder if I will ever learn.

I drove into work today, with quite a load on my mind. Several needs had come in as the holidays are drawing near. Families that are less fortunate and in need of help - food, gas, bills . . . not to mention kids that won't get to have any kind of a Christmas.

There were a few families pending, still waiting to be adopted. Gulping at the thought, I sent up a silent prayer choosing to trust God amidst the enormous need. I felt like worrying about any of it would have been far too heavy. So instead, I put my racing mind to rest - and God amazingly moved the mountains that lay before me.

One after the other, I saw God provide for every need. One person brought in a couple of bags of groceries, and moments later they were picked up by a family. Gift cards poured in, with a smile or two. Offers to help from one small group (tried and true) and our Helping Hands ministry really helped carry the load. It was a pretty busy afternoon - and with God's grace I was able to take care of the most important things.

I had to laugh at myself today. As God surprised me with one provision after another, I couldn't help but to chuckle. Why do I doubt? God ALWAYS comes through in one way or another. He is always faithful when I feel like I don't have an ounce left to give. God's love abounds and His resources never run dry.

Faith without action is dead. Sometimes putting our belief in motion can mean no action at all. Waiting is active. We don't have to pull our hair out trying to crunch numbers or scramble for things that are beyond our reach.

When our faith is genuine and still - it is God that does the moving.

No comments: