Wednesday, December 19

Armor

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that He exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him. ~ Hebrews 11:6

As I sat alone with God this morning, we had our usual conversation. I grumbled about how dark it was outside, and how tired I was . . . then my sleepy half dreaming thoughts hit the pages of my journal. I don't remember now what I wrote, but I do remember making a solid decision for the day that lie ahead.

You know those aha moments with God, where He will shed light on something you have read a million times? It is almost like the text jumps off of the page and hits you right between the eyes.

While following along with my yearly reading plan, I stumbled upon a quite a gem while reading Hebrews 11. It is sometimes referred to as the faith chapter. The familiar words wrapped themselves around my heart like a warm blanket, making the wee hours of the morning more inviting. When I got to chapter six, my eyes halted. There was so much in that one sentence - certainly enough to fill a whole life's journey not to mention the next 24 hours.

There has been this little struggle on the inside of my heart, that challenges my trust in God. I will see the devastation of somebody else's circumstances . . . or the world hunger crisis . . . or a friend getting the flu, and then there seems to be this little chip that appears in my armor. After a day of ministering to folks that come through the office, I guess you could say I find myself pretty beat up. Without my shield of faith in place those fiery darts have a field day, always hitting me where it counts.

"Taking up the shield of faith, with which I can extinguish every fiery arrow of the evil one." I recite this every single morning as I shower, including every other piece of armor found in Ephesians 6. I never really thought about it before, but my faith is a really big part of keeping myself protected from the evil one.

I walked out of the house this morning, not looking to solve the world's hunger crisis. I was not planning on writing the next best seller (although that would be a hoot), nor did I have my heart set on becoming any kind of a hero.

One slow and steady step at a time, I was making the choice to live by faith. That simple but complicated decision is more than enough for this girl's plate.

Today I am thankful for the Armor of God. Stay suited up fellow warrior . . . according to God's Word - our faith is enough.

No comments: