Wednesday, December 12

Rule

Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. ~ Colossians 3:15

This verse is very fitting for me today, as peace seems elusive. Have you ever had one of those days where you just feel a little bit off kilter? I can't really say that there is anything wrong per se, but at the same time I feel as though I could cry forever.

I never really feel comfortable in my own skin on days like these. I am not sure how I fit, I am not sure if I am making any sense, or how I am relating to others. Is what I am saying sounding really stupid? Is my silence rude, or something to be ridiculed? I'm not really too sure why my feelings seems to be hanging off my sleeve like an open wound this beautiful afternoon. Hormones may be playing a part, or maybe it has something to do with lack of sleep. Trying to figure out the reason for this moment of insanity only makes me dizzy inside, so instead I choose to rest.

Letting the peace of Christ rule in my heart simply means letting go. I don't have to have all of the answers, I don't have to be understood and liked by everyone I come into contact with today. God knows who is behind the smile and garbled speech - even better than I do . . . and He loves me just the same.

"Let the peace of Christ rule" . . . it doesn't say force the peace of Christ or make it happen by sheer determination, it says "let" or allow. God's peace can move in only when I am willing to step aside. My eyes need to be taken off of myself and my circumstances, to be fixed on Him. This verse fits well for insecure afternoons such as these, where I just want to crawl into His lap, and pour my heart out. Lil' ol me, with all of the confusing entanglement in tow.

My jumbled emotions may end up getting the best of me today. But make no mistake, by the end of the day, the peace that loving Christ affords - will rule.

No comments: