Tuesday, December 11

Bark

You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.
~ 1 John 4:4

Today I am thankful for our dog Ginger. I took her in today to get her fixed - no puppies for this house. We've already got three of them running around, all looking a lot like Mark. Hmmm . . .

After dropping Ginger off early this morning, I have been thinking about her off and on all day. I wondered how she was doing and if everything was going okay. Finally at around 2pm I picked up the phone to call the vet. It was very reassuring to hear that surgery went well, and that she was recovering nicely. I look forward to picking her up in an hour or so.

I guess you can say that I am an animal person. During my growing up years, we always had a couple of dogs and a cat or two. One was even my very own - Barney, an over sized Sheltie that was a result of one of our mama dog's litters. I loved my Barney boy. He and I got pretty well acquainted through the years. I took him to obedience school and trained him myself. We even participated in a dog show or two. I still have a second place prize sitting in our curio cabinet.

Barney and I went through a lot together. Just like most of our animals growing up, Barney was hit by a car. We lived on a pretty busy street, and for some reason or another, our animals would always get out. I remember coming home from the skate arena one afternoon, to find out that Barney was in the dog hospital. I was devastated. Fortunately, he only suffered a broken leg, and was able to come home after a day or so. His leg was never the same after that.

Then there was Patches, the most beautiful Calico cat anyone has ever seen. She had bright eyes, and was about as sweet as could be. I was so attached to that cat. Her tragic passing was my first experience with death. One morning on the way to summer drama, I saw her lifeless body laying on the curb, filled with ants. I was crushed, I think I cried off and on for a whole month.

Then there was Dooh Dah, a white Himalayan cat who was also squashed by a car (and I saw that one happen). The driver of the car got out and proceeded to kick her after running her over. Needless to say, I was pretty traumatised.

Then Sammy, my ten year old miniature pincher decided to run away and never come back. And my last heartbreak was a 20 year old cat named Kiwi. I held her paws and stroked her head as she left this world. It was really amazing . . . I literally watched her soul leave her body.

So as I thought about Ginger today, I knew that anything could happen. I was really hoping that everything would turn out okay, for the kid's sake and for mine - but I found myself holding her loosely. Maybe it has to do with all of the pet heartache I have had to endure. But I've gotta say, that with each companion, the journey (even the bitter ends) have all been worth it.

You may wonder what this has to do with my memory verse for the day -- and well, I really couldn't tell you. What I can say, is that God has healed every single one of those devastating blows for me. Some people might bark about such drama, but when you are an animal person, there is something really special about the connection that is made with your pet.

Greater is God than the pain I have had to endure. Because as far as my furry friends go, the good memories outweigh the traumatic ones. I am an overcomer through these and other painful tragedies in my life for one reason, and one reason alone.

As His child, I was covered through every smile and tear. He is the Healer of My Heart . . . the One who holds it all.

No comments: