Monday, August 6

Flipping Burgers

The breezy weather the past couple of days has set a good preface for the school year. My kids go back tomorrow. As I write this entry, they are taking their last off-track dip in the pool. It is cool enough today for me to leave the windows open so that I can hear them. Smoothing squabbles, getting drinks of water, listening to their laughter and watching them play together - all of this will be missed.

I step into this new school year with a little bit of nostalgia. Makayla, my baby, will be starting Kindergarten tomorrow. Once she steps foot into the school system, there's no turning back. From one season to the next, she will continue to grow like a weed, just like the boys. It is all happening so fast.

The house will be so quiet tomorrow afternoon . . . what will I do with myself? I've got a few projects I've been wanting to work on. I have a feeling that Ginger and I will do just fine.

I take a look into Fall, and wonder . . . what will I be doing? Flipping burgers for McDonald's? Working for the President of the United States? Only the good Lord knows. My interview seemed to go well this morning (I'm practically a pro remember?) It is always so hard to tell. There was no math involved, so that was in my favor.

The interview was for a ministry position for a church in town. I am completely surrendered to God's will, so I can't say I have a preference either way. It has the words "ministry and work" in it, so it may very well be an answer to my prayers. Although, I have to say that I have my heart set on door number one - but that door is only open a crack. There will be no forcing it open. God alone will have to extend that invitation.

I found out today that I was not selected for door number two. Although it would have been a fantastic opportunity, it is probably for the best. The job was in Modesto, and it required some evening help. Mike Winther, the president of Institute for Principle Studies was looking to hire an Administrative Assistant. This is a non-profit organization, working to implement Biblical principles into our government and school systems, into our church policies and family dynamics. COWABUNGA!! I may not have gotten this job, but Mike will be hiring more people and he said he would look me up in the future. I truly believe that this man and his team will alter the course of history.

No altering the course of history for this girl. At least for now. But wait a minute. Something tells me that the decisions I make in the smaller things make more of a difference than the big moments. I am finding that the simple pleasures in life, the genuine relationships and my primary roles are richer than any "world movement". It is there, in the towel washing and the recipe reading that my Jesus and I do life together.

Flipping burgers is really not looking too bad, put in the context of being in God's will. Impacting the world doesn't mean holding a lofty title or impressing others with your resume. God is not impressed with any of that. He always looks at the heart.

Altering the course of history . . . are you a part of God's world movement? It is pretty simple stuff. The job description goes something like this: live genuinely, and love God and others with everything you have.

2 comments:

Kim said...

My Shero,
I love reading your blogs. You are a very talented writer. I miss you!
Your Shero

Joanne Reese said...

I miss you too . . . ooodles! It has been so fun reading your blog. You've got some great picutures on there. Colorado looks incredible.

Thanks for the encouragement, and for letting me know you are thinking of me. You are on my heart too.