Thursday, August 9

Serendipity Books

When we were growing up, my Mom collected a series of books called "The Seredipity Books" for my sister. Neither one of us were readers (my sister more than I), but I remember those being my favorite picture books in the house. The illustrations were incredible, and these days I am discovering that the stories are even richer.

From Hucklebug to Fluttyerby, the worn out collection rests neatly on Makayla's dresser. They were something I inherited when my Mom was packing to move last winter. I consider them on loan to me for now. With my sister's name, address and phone number penned in the inside flap (in her third grade hand writing - so cute), I can't deny the fact that they will always really belong to her. It sure is fun having them on loan for a while.

Makayla and I have been reading a new adventure every night. Each book has it's own story, each story it's own adorable leading character. I've found that whether you are a toddler tucked in bed, or the mother who finally sat down for the first time that day - there is a lesson in there for anyone who dares to take a peek.

Each story will begin with the introduction of the main character, such as Leo the Lop or Catundra the Cat. Personality quirks fill in blanks where the illustrations fall short. You know right away what this character's tendencies are, where he has come from, and where he is going. There is an immediate conflict that grabs your attention, and keeps you on the edge of your seat until it is resolved.

As an aspiring writer, I appreciate their use of words - so descriptive and poetic. Stephen Cosgrove and Robin James were using their talents and gifts to the glory of God, whether they knew it or not. Interestingly, not an utterance of God is ever mentioned - but God's incredible tenderness and powerful presence resides on every page.

The brilliant thing about these stories, is that they demand introspection. The main character is always faced with his own shortcomings and failings. Morality ties things up nicely toward the end of every book, with a "moral of the story" for each reader to apply.

This got me thinking. Ministry doesn't have to be an organized group placed under the structure of a church body. Of course, much of God's work is accomplished here. But let's not forget that anybody who has a soft heart towards God and His "morals", who is living their full potential and chasing after their dreams . . . God loves to use these kind of hearts to display His splendor.

Kudos to Stephen and Robin. Your integrity has left a memorable legacy of right and wrong.

No comments: