Friday, August 10

The Other Joanne

I'd like to write today about another Joanne that God has blessed me with. No, it is not myself. I may be working on building a better self-image, but that would be a bit much.

I just love it when God answers un-prayed prayers, or at least ones we are not even conscious of sending up. He will amazingly anticipate my need (the way that I do for my kids), wanting only to offer help, consolation and peace. Of course with God being the perfect parent, it is pretty safe to say the He gets it right most of the time, unlike this mom. Oh, the beauty of grace.

As I walk this journey of life, every step of obedience has met me with a provision from the hand of God. When it comes to serving in the ministry, I have to say that most of the time I am scared half out of my mind. God is teaching me how to take those thoughts captive, and to stand on His Word. Like a treadmill or exercise bike, I have to stretch those new brain muscles, working a bit each day. My progress can sometimes seem so slow.

There is nothing in my experience or background that convinces me I am able to pull of half of what He equips me to do. Over and over again, I marvel at the fact that God chooses the weak and the foolish - this is so that Christ will be seen instead of me.

Joanne came into my life at just the perfect time. Back when I was called to direct women's ministries our church, I remember feeling terrified. Lord . . . me? Are you sure? Confirmation after confirmation revealed that yes, God hadn't made a mistake. But it would be the beginning of some pretty big doozies for me.

Another women's ministry director in town, with the name Joanne R., with the same personality quirks and hang-ups? I couldn't have made that one up if I tried. Now, try and convince me that is a coincidence. I look into her eyes and share a good laugh, and I know that she is a kiss from heaven.

Joanne and I like to get together once a month, to encourage and support one another through the ups and downs of leadership. Rarely do we talk about our to-do lists or ministry programs. More often than not, we end up talking about our relationship with God and how He is healing this area or that. Many times (and this happens with other friends too), our seasons or circumstances will run parallel. This gives us both a glimpse into what the other is feeling, which makes prayer and our support of one another very powerful.

Having her kids all grown, Joanne is in a different season than I, and further along in many ways. It is great to sit and collect bits of wisdom she's experienced. She shares openly and honestly about her mistakes and shortcomings, which gives me permission to be true about my heart. Surrounding yourself with people you can learn from is one of life's greatest missions.

We were just visiting today about how unique and different we both are, and how we are also very much the same. If there has been a mold made for "Women's Ministries Directors", then the two Joannes would have smashed it to pieces. I remember not knowing who I should be when I stepped into my new role. I wanted to be like this person, or that person, and God kept bringing me back to "the original" that He designed in me. Being myself . . . yes that always seems to fit best.

If you have the need of some encouragement as you walk this road called life, know that God anticipates your every whim. Whether you speak it out loud or not, His ministry for your heart is on the way.

. . . You might want to get your hammer out. God's providence always exceeds any preconceived notion.

No comments: