Wednesday, August 8

Green Means Go

While taking the kids to school this morning, we hit every green light from Springer to Canal. That has only happened to me a couple of times before, and it always grabs my attention. There is something about the timing of all of that - it just amazes me. It was as if everybody was moving aside just for us.

It got me thinking about how God will sometimes speak to me through a series lights - red, yellow and green. I jump into the driver's seat of life, and head out towards my own predetermined destination. Sometimes I'll hit a red light or two, or even get behind somebody who is taking their sweet time. I'll glance at my watch (or my calender) and think, "C'mon buddy, I have somewhere I need to be!"

Then there are the times when I am presented with a yellow light. This is when I have to make a split second decision. Will I slow down or speed up? The real question is, will I honor the rules of the road, or risk it all by trying to beat the red? Sound familiar?

Then, like this morning, you land on the green ones. An invitation to step on the gas and to move ahead one space. Green lights usher us into the next intersection, where we will have to make another series of choices. Should I turn right, or left? Maybe I should go straight, or turn this puppy around altogether.

Knowing your destination is key. Like this morning, I knew where I was going. I had a car full of kiddos, equipped with backpacks and lunches, ready to hit the campus. I was headed for the school. I was given a certain amount of time with which to get there. Knowing my role (mom), helped me determine my destination. I don't think my kids or my husband would have been too happy if I decided to make a left turn into the nail place for a pedicure. Pretty toes or not, it would have made the kids late, and my own conscience disgruntled.

So what's your destination? The Bible tells us that we are to love God and others - and that is God's destination (or destiny) for you - regardless of what road you're on. Don't give in to the enticing detours like making money or a name for yourself. Selling out because you are afraid to be real is not God's best. Cutting corners or running lights is never going to be worth the forfeit of your soul.

As you head towards God's destination for you, don't get discouraged. Remember there will be days when things aren't moving fast enough for you. You will find yourself stuck in a mess of traffic more times than not. Use that time to pray to the One who is in the driver's seat.

Always keep your eyes open, and your heart hopeful. Every so often, the light will be green. Go ahead, step on the pedal and enjoy the feel of the breeze. Stand firm on the fact that you are always on God's GPS.

He knows where you are headed, and His series of lights will take you where you need to be.

No comments: