Wednesday, August 22

Humble Yourself

I sat with a good friend this morning, going over some plans for next year. Let's see, we talked about family, our summer adventures, our dreams (sounding familiar to anybody?) . . . then there there were the "to-do's", and the "to-don'ts" (not really, I made that part up). We enjoyed a very casual and delightful conversation.

As we were wrapping things up, my friend shared a little secret with me that has added to a very intimate bond with the Lord. She has landed a gold mine in the area of discipline. This concept applies, whether she is working on spending time in God's Word or being consistent with her exercise program.

It was a phrase that fell off her lips, and I just cannot get it out of my mind. It was so simple, yet has proven, to me, to be one of the hardest things about walking with God. When she spoke the phrase, it was as if the Holy Spirit turned up the volume in my own heart. I felt a nudge from deep within, saying "listen to this . . . this is for you."

"Humble yourself . . . " Clear as crystal, I knew what the Lord was speaking to my heart. I have been trying to figure out how to approach the idea of writing Bible studies . . . of even getting back into a deep style of study . . . and I keep coming up empty handed. Every attempt I make in my own strength eventually vanishes under the pressure of lazy procrastination.

"Humble yourself . . . " this means laying down my own empty attempts, and asking God for His help and direction. Humility is the attitude I should have with any idea of approaching God, whether it is through a fast and a prayer or the study of His Word. He is GOD . . . not some genie in a bottle.

This is such a wonderful nugget. It has spoken to me in a very deep and profound way, which a lot of times means that the Holy Spirit will leave no corner of my heart unturned. I am so grateful that He works carefully to clean up the mess.

Where do you need humbling today? Are you trying to impart discipline in your life? Have you failed miserably time and time again? Oh dear friend in Christ, understand this. God does not expect us to do it perfectly . . . that's why Jesus came. He has already done everything that will ever "earn our way to heaven".

Our part? HUMBLE YOURSELF under God's mighty hand . . . and in due time (not your own), you will be lifted.

1 comment:

Sandy Hazenberg said...

Your posts are so rich with wisdom. I'm greatly blessed through them. Thank you!